Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed - SynScan update fail

Hi all

Tried to update the latest firmware to my hand controller, am using the USB adapter and it always only gets to about 4% then fails. Now I find the controller will not work on the scope. I did change the download rate to low on the controller but no luck.

Suggestions would be appreciated 

Thanks

Patrick 

If the bootloader firmware (not the Synscan firmware) on the handset is earlier than v1.6 then you can update it from here . The version of the bootloader is displayed when you put the handset into firmware update mode ( press 0 + 8 and power on) .Earlier versions of the bootloader can cause the handset to lock up if there is an interruption in the power supply.

• 6 months later...

I should have known better and first look in to it before attempting an update.

Unfortunately, i tried to update the HC to the latest version, off course it failed, and now i have a non working hand controller.

Isn't there a hard reset of some sort for the HC ?

Help ?

### Fixed ### the serial to USB adaptor seemed to be the problem !

This is why I always advise that firmware should only be upgraded if you need the new functions detailed in the upgrade description. ?

Don't upgrade because you can, or in hopes that it will fix some random problem. If tempted to meddle, ask yourself how often you have to upgrade the firmware in your washing machine, your DVD player,  your car, your laptop BIOS, your electric toothbrush, etc.

If you can't recover the firmware after powering down and re-initializing everything, the prognosis is not good. We used to call this 'bricking' the electronic board. Unlike my TV, which seems to upgrade itself while on-air, these Synta mounts have cumbersome upgrade procedures which differ for the handset and mount, and also change from time to time. 

Archived