sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Got tired of the mess of cables and loose devices I had to always put together and dismantle after each astrophotography session so I figured I'd do something about it. This tray will sit nicely under the tripod and provide a hub for everything including Fused Power, Raspberry Pi, USB Hub, GPS, Dew Heaters, Long Range WiFi etc...

First version will be really crude as I need to have this working in less than a week as I'm going on a holiday taking my astro gear with me.

23331291_10214638350536305_2663334585000691913_o.jpg

23270411_10214638377696984_6832498970705525172_o.jpg

23215692_10214638383657133_3841713603644040673_o.jpg

23215440_10214638394377401_3362102217558298556_o.jpg

23157278_10214638388017242_8455587451281197900_o.jpg

23157156_10214638395577431_7167559214500565599_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is not the final configuration but the first working version I wanted to get done before holidays.

I'll add 4A adjustable DC-DC step up boosters in some of the DC outputs as for example my Atik 383L+ is quite stringent about the input voltage.

23379843_10214663346601191_6424874946698633383_n.jpg

• Like 1

Since I already received the XL6009 step up boosters I ordered I decided to do some tests with them and ultimately ended up adding one into the system for field testing on my holiday. I adjusted the output voltage to 13.8V and it easily kept it there even if I dropped the input voltage to about 10V. Normally I'm using a small car battery which never should get this low anyway.

Then using a lab power supply with adjustable current limiting feature I hooked up my Atik 383l+ to it. I had to raise the current limit up to 3.5A as in some cases when the cooler was on at full power and the camera was exposing and doing USB comms it was momentarily drawing a lot of current. On average it drew a lot less than that though so I think it's well within the specs of max 4A input current. It did warm up to about 45-50C on higher loads (ambient temp about 22C) but it's totally acceptable. It'll be a lot cooler outside in the field anyway.

I also checked the ripple of the output voltage using a digital storage oscilloscope. It wasn't the cleanest but not too bad either. It got a bit better after adding a 470uF 25V capacitor parallel to the output. The images below show's the AC component of the output voltage under load without and with the 470uF capacitor.

xl6009_ripple_under_load.jpeg

xl6009_ripple_under_load_with_470u_cap.jpeg

Edited by kbrown

Here's some discussion about the camera producing more noise in low voltage conditions in case you're wondering why I did the above: https://forums.atik-cameras.com/index.php?topic=126.0

I've certainly seen an alarming amount of hot pixels and surprising amount of noise when running the camera directly off of the car battery. From my quick tests last night adding the booster felt like an immediate improvement. I did 10-300s dark exposures at 22C and 2C and the images were a lot cleaner than I can remember from the past. Will do some more tests later.

Edited by kbrown
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sulaco
      Hi, 
      Thinking of getting the Asiair pro whenever they come back into stock but wondered about the voltage output for dslr, it states that it’s12v but would that not need to be stepped down to 7.5v for dslr. 
      im wondering if the Pegasus power box micro with Stellarmate might be a better option as the dedicated power box is controllable. 
      I tried Ekos a couple of years back and had nothing but problems but tried again last night and was amazed at how slick it was, best guiding and first time plate-solvingwas effortless. 
      I have the original zwo  120mm  so reluctant to get a new one unless I have too. Has anybody been using the new advanced or micro  power boxes either stellarmate?
      Thanks
       Campbell
    • By Astrofriend
      I bought two new dew heaters. They are sold to be used on camera lenses and powered from USB. I have modified them to reduce the power from 8 Watt to 2 Watt which will be enough for my demand.
      Some photos and documentation from this project:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-heating-band/05-project-heating-band.html
      This will be battery operated and I try to reduce the power consumtion of the equipment.
      /Lars
    • By pete_81
      Hi all, just getting straight to the point.
      Just got a Rasp Pi 400 (equivalent to Pi4-4GB), and looking to get into guiding through this as it's obviously a popular (and successful) technique.
      Plan is to have the RPi as mini computer at home, running it with RaspPiOS (supplied on µSD with the full kit), then use it with a SECOND micro SD card for astro - I figure having another SD to run Astroberry (as on SGL) may ignore any issues with the family using the pi for other stuff in the house, giving a stand-alone 'computer' as the OS and files would be available on different SD's.
      From this point, I'd setup as follows:
      Connect the RPi directly via USB to the mount (it's the newer SW-AZ-EQ6Pro with the USB-B port on the mount)
      Guidescope (240mm f/4) with T7C (equivalent to ZWO Mini) again USB-B direct to RPi
      Nikon DSLR (either on telescope or using camera lenses) connected to RPi via Nikon USB (using the 3 USB points on the RPi-400) to control capture and later using this for plate-solving (but that's not for just right now!)
      I don't spy any flaws in the plan, it's just going to be a matter of testing and setting things up hoping to follow the guide for Astroberry as linked to SGL below...
      Or is there an alternative OS? From brief reading, Astroberry includes KStars & PHD2 which is what I've got for use on the macbook (although not used in earnest as it doesn't appear to like the cold too much!)
      What about guiding software - I know KStars comes with it's own, and can run PHD2 from within, with PHD2 being the industry standard (and simplest?) to use?
      Control will then be sitting in the warm via OS-X, which seems to be again a common technique as I've had posts on my other questions about this!
      Thoughts???
    • By Dinglem
      I've been contemplating making a portable power box so I can take my mount to a dark site, a friend gave me an old lorry battery that no longer turns the engine over but will hold some charge. My intention was to get a nice enclosure and build something that looked professional like a few other members have created on here, unfortunately spare time is limited so I went for a simpler solution and created the following and it works very well.

• By orfest
      Hi,
      I've been trying out astrophotography from home, where 220V socket is available with unlimited power.
      I want to be taking my setup to the field next year, but I'm wondering how to power all the devices.
      Current setup:
      The mount (10micron GM1000) needs 24V@3A (peak 4A). To get 24V@3A I need 12V@6A DSLR that can run from batteries, and I have lots of spare batteries on standby Raspberry Pi to control the devices, 5V@3A, equivalent to 12V@1.25A Dew Heater that I've just got, but never used, needs 12V@1A I'm considering some upgrades in the near future:
      An autofocuser, 12V. Power requirements should be minimal. Replace DSLR with a cooled camera, 12V. I don't know what I'll get, but top models need 3A. Don't know how much of it is used by cooling, and how much is used by the sensor. Questions:
      Is it safe to power the mount from a DC hub? My mount's manual says "Please don’t use unregulated power supplies because the output voltage of these units is not good enough to operate the mount.". I didn't find anything that says the warranty is void if not using the pre-approved power supplies. If I don't want to power the mount from the DC hub, how can I power the mount and the DC hub from the same battery? I saw these funny devices on Aliexpress but don't know if they are any good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911966417.html What kind of batteries do you use to provide multiple Amperes to all the equipment all night long? Mount needs 6A (at 12V), cooled CMOS camera needs 3A, dew heater needs 1A, Pi needs 1.25A. That's 11.25A at 12V, which is 135W of power. The battery must be huge. I saw discussions of various DC hubs here:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.