SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar focusing

I tried doing some close up lunar imaging last night with my 200p, qhy5L-ll and x2 barlow. 

My problem is I'm having trouble getting sharp focus. I was watching the live view on ezplanetary software but the image still seemed slightly blurred. How do others achieve sharp focus when doing surface imaging?

11 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I focus on a bright star first with a Bahitnov mask.. :)

But isn't perfect for the moon and stars slightly different? I though about doing this but was unsure how close perfect focus was for both. 

4 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

But isn't perfect for the moon and stars slightly different? I though about doing this but was unsure how close perfect focus was for both. 

Well as far as i know they are both at infinity so should be the same,... maybe i am wrong but worked for me :) certainly the same on a camera lens...

28 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Well as far as i know they are both at infinity so should be the same,... maybe i am wrong but worked for me :) certainly the same on a camera lens...

Thanks, I'm doing some Ha imaging tonight but next time I'll give this a try.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I am wondering the same thing..... how to focus on solar/lunar.  It seems very subjective.

Moons not too bad but the Sun is a bit tricky as it's usually a bubbly mess unless the seeing is good, I find an electronic focuser is a real help for solar.

Dave

Archived