SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon from November 4th 2017

Helen

Clear (mostly) and cold, and a bright moon, so thought I'd experiment with the C11 and ZWO1600.  Here are a couple of quick processed shots (stacked AS!2 and sharpened in imppg and PS).  I was hoping for a full disk mosaic - but will need more time to process tomorrow and see whether I missed any bits and whether the passing clouds scuppered it.

2017-11-0-2253-cs2-v1sm.thumb.jpg.d67c2efa48da477707adbd83227c1120.jpg

207-11-04-2444-cs2v1.thumb.jpg.ae2e33ab38d6dd7233fcd3b1701b1bbf.jpg

Helen

Great picutures! I wish you good luck with the panorama, in particular that there will be no gaps.

You are using a camera with a large sensor (21,9mm diagonal). I was wondering if the C11 FOV is flat enough to get sharp images up to the corners. So far I'm using an ASI12MM-S on the C11, where this is not a problem. Do you see any image degradation towards the corners at 100% magnification? Of course a larger sensor is very helpful in panorama photography.

All the best,

Rolf

Thanks all.  I've now had a first go at a mosaic - my poor computer has had to work hard with the large files!  Mosaic composed in ICE.  I think I need to revisit to get the sharpening more balanced across the panes - I thought keeping the settings the same would work best, but I think parts look a bit oversharpened and others a bit flat (but that might also be focus variation)!  The brighter version is autolevels (I did it for curiosity and was quite surprised that it worked ok!), the other darker, by eye.

Due to file sizes I've had to reduce the scale.

Rolf, I'm not sure about the image degredation... certainly some parts are sharper, but that might be due to any number of factors (passing cloud, bonfires, variable seeing, focus changing with temp, phase etc)

Helen

2017-11-0-2253-cs2-v1_stitchv2sm.thumb.jpg.0eaf801d55d9c9ed78790f33f74ddafe.jpg2017-11-0-2253-cs2-v1_stitch-autolevelsv2small.thumb.jpg.442c225a0c77c6fe72b1369541ad5f1d.jpg

On 7.11.2017 at 00:47, Helen said:

Thanks all.  I've now had a first go at a mosaic - my poor computer has had to work hard with the large files!  Mosaic composed in ICE.  I think I need to revisit to get the sharpening more balanced across the panes - I thought keeping the settings the same would work best, but I think parts look a bit oversharpened and others a bit flat (but that might also be focus variation)!  The brighter version is autolevels (I did it for curiosity and was quite surprised that it worked ok!), the other darker, by eye.

Due to file sizes I've had to reduce the scale.

Rolf, I'm not sure about the image degredation... certainly some parts are sharper, but that might be due to any number of factors (passing cloud, bonfires, variable seeing, focus changing with temp, phase etc)

Helen

Hi Helen,

Great Panorama! I like the first version better than the one with autolevels. The latter one is burnt out at many places. Perhaps you could edit the tone mapping a bit manually.

As to the sharpness variations among panes, I usually take more than one panorama in rapid succession (well, of course automatically using MoonPanoramaMaker :smiley:), so for each pane I can choose the best one. In my case this is relatively easy because MPM names the video files such that all files of the same pane are stored consecutively. And it helps that "pane number 025" in all passes points at the same well-defined location. Differences are mainly due to variations in the seeing.

One would blame field curvature as the reason of image degradation if, for example, the corners in all images are usually softer than the middle. If this is not the case, and the sharp regions are placed at found at varying locations, the field of view is probably okay.

All the best,

Rolf

Archived