SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Critical damage to Canon dslr

Handy_Andy

Due to over enthusiasm I hadn't properly clamped up my 200pds, which promptly made a bid for freedom off my mount to the floor where my 700d saved the scope taking the brunt of the impact. All seemed to be well, still turns on and works perfectly for short frames. However in longer frames I get a purple flare, does anyone know if this is sensor damage or if I'm lucky just a lose connection somewhere.

Note this is a full spectrum modded 700d. and the picture is a 7 1/2 minute dark

Many thanks in advance

IMG_0071.jpg

I've done frames under a hoodie and it's the same. The damage to the camera exterior is virtually non existent, it was a low speed hit as I managed to catch the back end of the scope as it fell. The only thing wrong with it is this wired noise effect that starts after 1 minute of exposure 

Amp glow confirmed, good call Michael. Through a process of elimination and me getting hold of DYEos it turns out that most of the amp glow comes from having a lens on the front of the camera. Just means I'll have to disable the lens contacts with some good ol' insulation tape in future when I want to do widefield shots with lenses. I thinks there was some interaction from the lcd screen too but that becomes a non issue now I plan on controlling the camera via laptop instead. Thanks to all who help me sort this issue!!

5 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Why does that cause amp glow? 

Piggyback dslr with lense is pretty common, haven't heard it being a problem before?

Michael

I would agree, most of the amp glow I have seen is thermal noise caused by the LCD or battery, both causes can be reduced by switching the LCD off (non live view) or even flipping the screen out and using a battery grip to move the battery from inside the camera..

Alan

Yeah it's the strangest thing. I did darks with the lens on display off and the noise was horrible. Did the same again with my coma corrector on instead and it was black as a hole in Calcutta.

I came across something yesterday that said that there are more problems with amp glow in full spectrum Canon's 650d onwards related to the auto focus system.

That being said if the only consequence of all the kit falling off the mount is I can't do lens widefield shots and I bought Backyard Eos then I count myself very lucky indeed. I have another dslr which I can use for lens widefield shots, it's not modded but I can live with it.

I'll do more tests with the 700 and see how it goes

After a lot of faffing and experimentation I've found that lenses are indeed the common factor regarding the amp glow. Best guess is that the proximity of the back of the lens reflects back some light and that's what the sensor is showing. The top 2 images are as they come, the rest have had brightness increased by 50% to exaggerate what noise there is.

Settings were ISO 3200, 600 Second exposures. Taken using BYE so the red corner led plays no role.

Bit of a nuisance not having lenses as an option for astro imaging but considering it hit the floor with the weight of a 200pds behind it I count myself pretty lucky

5a036c472668d_CameraTestsTable.thumb.jpg.056169424c956591bc1f7989fa6df3c8.jpg

Archived