Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

staringintospace

EQ5 Damaged Worm Drive Shaft - Fix

Hello All,

I found a "fix" for having a damaged worm drive that I thought I would share.

Earlier this year I managed to snag the RA slow motion cable on my jacket and snap the end off the brass worm drive.  After reading some helpful posts on Stargazers Lounge i removed both worm drive assemblies and switched the RA with the DEC as a short term fix.  It is a bit of a pain in practice as its awkward to reach the DEC knob when viewing.

Last week I decided to take the plunge and buy a GOTO kit.  Just before ordering I realised that the side of the worm drive shaft that is needed for the motor gear is the broken side.  After scouring the net, and talking with a few shops, the end result is that it will cost around £30-35 for a new worm drive shaft and approx 4 month wait for it to arrive from China!!

It suddenly struck me yesterday that the worm drive turns the scope in both directions and there was a good chance it must be symmetrical.  Good news, it is!.

It took around 5 minutes to take apart and re-assemble with the worm drive shaft the opposite way around.  Very straight forward.  I now have some brass shaft on the correct side to mount the motor gears.

I hadn't seen this fix suggested anywhere before, it was only after staring at lots of pictures it become an obvious thing to try.  I hope this helps someone else out there.

Callum

IMG_1013.thumb.jpg.62b7305a660d40f230fc4309302ed248.jpgIMG_1016.thumb.jpg.503d578adca8ae7b03c9e3ad2f37c85f.jpgIMG_1014.thumb.jpg.0c35575f139d789e719ac0a6be0384b5.jpg

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bigwings
      I need my garage back so am selling my excess mounts.
      1. EQ5 motorised on both axis.
      No tripod this was mounted ony pier. Tracks well. 
      £100 Collect only because of weight .
      2. An older type Skywatcher AZ goto mount that came with my SkyMax 127. Good condition .
      £100 Collect please but might be able to send if you arrange courier.
      SOLDto Pitbull ...thanks
      3. AZ GTi  goto in excellent condition . Still have the box so can send at cost.
      The pic shows it with a telescope on it which is not included.
      £200
      Location just north of Newark on A1
      Clear Skies.
      Thanks for looking

• By kman42
      I have an EQ5 telescope mount which i use for astrophotography. I have modified it with a motorised RA axis using a bipolar stepper motor - my thread for the build is here .
      I want to expand the mount's tracking ability by motorising the DEC axis and using a guide scope/camera. I generally use the mount in fairly remote locations so would like to use a raspberry Pi for portability.
      I understand that I'll need to use a Raspberry Pi Camera Module for the guide camera. 
      The capability I want is:
      1. guide the mount along RA and DEC axes using a guide star as feedback
      2. track the mount using the RA axis only, and if possible continuously take 20-30 second exposures on the guide camera (this functionality is optional, but would assist in polar alignment of the mount)
      I don't want any GOTO capability. I am very new to RPi and need some help:
      - do I need to write code for this, or is there existing programming available for what I want to do?
      - is it possible to avoid the use of screens (in the field)? My preferred option would be to flick a switch to start and stop the guiding, with another switch for alignment mode (or something simple like this).
      - do I need to use any particular stepper motors/drivers for raspberry Pi? I'm using a bipolar stepper motor running quarter steps, with an A4988 stepper driver
      - is the RPi 3 Model B+ the unit I should buy?
      Thanks

• By msacco
      Hello, so I bought my first telescope a few days ago, I bought a SkyWatcher 200p on a goto EQ5 mount, my first general impression is that I made a good decision, it was a bit over my budget, but I bought it second hand, and 8" with goto EQ5 is a good start in my opinion so far, as I won't need to replace is really soon.
      So I tried observing for 2 nights so far, I tried using it from my garden, and obviously its not amazing, but I live in a relatively small city with a decent light pollution.
      So the first night was pretty bad, it was really hard adapting to everything, learn how to use everything, my brother ripped by mistake the crosshair in the finderscope(I fixed it today tho, it was kinda loose before, so its even better now), and it was pretty hard.
      Today I read a little about the things that were harder to me, I tried to align my finderscope, and even tho Im unable to do it for some reason, I know where the finderscope leads me, so its a bit easier, I learned how to use my eyepieces better, managed to use the 2x barlow lens, I still couldn't figure how to really do all the aligning correctly such as polar align etc, but hopefully I'll learn that slowly. I also tried adjusting my goto mount, but I couldn't do it because when Im trying to do the star aligning I don't know yet which stars I should use, and trying to figure where each star is in a place that you're not even sure if you can see it because of light pollution is kinda hard, so I gave up on aligning the goto and just used it to move the mount sometimes to follow an object.
      The only object that I really saw was mars(I think), I couldn't see it very well tho, I tried using all my eyepieces(25mm, 10mm and 4mm) and my 2x, but it still wasn't really great. Im not expecting to see anything too well obviously, but I did except to see it a bit more zoomed and a bit more detailed than sort of orange lamp light, it makes me wonder what can I do about it, what do I need in order to see mars better? Is it because of the light pollution? Maybe the eyepieces? Something maybe Im doing wrong? Again, Im not expecting to see it like hubble pictures or anything, not even with details, but just see it a bit bigger and a bit more clear, this is a photo for example(took it with my phone and 10mm super eyepiece):

One more thing is about the finderscope, when Im trying to adjust the finderscope, I simply can't adjust it enough to make it accurate, I need to loosen the screws to adjust it, but eventually the screw will just go out and the finderscope will still not be aligned with the scope, what can I do about it?
      I have a lot more to learn and experience, so sorry if I ask really stupid questions etc, thanks a lot for the help!

• By alexbb
      Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing.
      I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance.
      Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process.
      Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that.

Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside.

The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor.

The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case.

Parts: RA main gear, worm case.

Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too.

Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic.

You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry.
      The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width.
      Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm.

Hope someone finds this useful.
      I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5.
      Clear skies!
      Alex

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.