Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop Spec for ZWO camera?

BlueAstra

I have a ZWO 178M USB2/3 camera, and I'm finding the frame rate a bit disappointing with my old USB2 laptop. What laptop spec (processor, speed, memory, battery, etc) would you recommend to get the best out of the camera? I guess I'm looking for one which is fast enough with USB3 to handle the full frame data at the fastest frame rate, has enough storage for the data, and has a long battery life. Are there any specific laptops recommended?

Its a difficult one because decent specs and good battery life dont normally go together but you would be looking at something with a I5 processor with dual SSD and HDD, some laptops with this kind of spec might only have 1 USB 3 with the others being USB 2 so you need to be careful. Another valuable asset is lots of RAM, I would go for a minimum of 8Gb and of course a Win 10 OS.

Alan

For capture you really don’t need very high specs beyond USB 3 and plenty of hard drive space. I still use a 2011 Lenovo X220, i5, 8GB, 500GB SSD, and have no performance issues. If your laptop has an express card slot you can get a USB 3 adapter off eBay for about £5. That’s what I did and my ASI185MC now achieves the full frame rate advertised by ZWO.

It is worth noting that the progress in computer performance has slowed down a lot in recent years - if I were to replace my X220 the best I could hope for is about a 40-100% improvement, not exactly earth shattering. 

I've been looking for the answer to this question, I tend to agree with Martini...  I've been pondering this but it's a bit of a beast - thought the illuminated keyboard would be good at night....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132382333658 

That said a HP 2570p looks like the ticket - small, light, decent battery, decent cpu and screen and 1 USB 3, refurbs are only 10 or so brown beer drinking tokens.

On 11/4/2017 at 07:28, Merlin66 said:

I ended up with a fast sexy MSI gaming machine. No issues, no drama but the USB2 doesn’t play well with my DMK 51 camera. It seems to see the port as a USB3 rather than the USB2......

Have you tried changing the way you connect the lead. Plug in the camera and then into the computer and vice versa?

Yes,

tried all the variations...it seems that the driver settings for the USB3 don’t give an accurate version of USB2 and the DMK51 thinks it’s a USB3.

only affects the DMK51, my  DMK41 and other cameras are OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived