Gap at 8mm in SLV set

Paz

I've got a set of vixen SLVs that I am very happy with but I have one gap at 8mm that SLVs don't cover. My set is 25, 20, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2.5, with the last 3 only used with the st80 and st120.

An 8mm would be for use with my C8 and MC127 where often it's possible to use something shorter than 10mm but 6mm is too much.

What would be the closest thing to an SLV I could get I.e 20mm eye relief 50 degree field of view, similar in weight, and comparable quality?

There's the BST Starguider, TMB Planetary and clones, Celestron Ultima Duo, Omegon Redline (TS Expanse ED), Baader Hyperion, TV Delos, Siebert Super Star Splitter SS4 (7.9mm).  I have the 9mm Meade HD-60, and it is a phenomenal eyepiece center to edge, and it's easy to use with eyeglasses.  I would expect the 8mm BST Starguider to perform similarly.  If cost is no issue, go for the TV Delos.  You won't be disappointed.

On 03/11/2017 at 13:19, Paz said:

I've got a set of vixen SLVs that I am very happy with but I have one gap at 8mm that SLVs don't cover. My set is 25, 20, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2.5, with the last 3 only used with the st80 and st120.

An 8mm would be for use with my C8 and MC127 where often it's possible to use something shorter than 10mm but 6mm is too much.

What would be the closest thing to an SLV I could get I.e 20mm eye relief 50 degree field of view, similar in weight, and comparable quality?

Still some 8mm and other shorter fl LVWs on sale. Widescreen Centre, ebay, 365Astronomy have them.

On 03/11/2017 at 15:38, alan potts said:

A tad off topic but mentioned above, radian, you don't see them around much these days on the S/H market, I still have a couple, dam good eyepieces.

I have a 10 and 5, for use with my Genesis F5 frac. They take TV diopter lenses also.

8 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The LVW 8mm would be great, as it is parfocal with the SLVs, as far as I know. The Radian and Delos 8mm would need a parfocaliser ring to avoid refocusing

The Pentax XW 7mm is more expensive, but they are good glass. 20mm eye relief, removable cup, comfy viewing as the S/LV/W are. Wide AFOV like LVWs. (Selling myself one too :happy8:

Im very undecided about whether you need an 8mm of anything because you have a 10mm, and a 9mm TBH i dont think would be much difference. However, an 8mm EP does absolutely hit the sweet spot. I would usually suggest a Vixen NPL.........i have 3 of them, and a NLV(?). I love them. The only drawback for most people is the short eye relief on the NPL. I see the SLV's have a 20mm eye relief. The NPL's really do fall short of that (no pun intended).

Archived