SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Watec 902H what to do with it?

JonC

Work have a habit of chucking some good stuff in the skip and the electronics recycling bin, so I tend to keep my eyes on them. I am also known as somebody interested in optical kit and had a pile of stuff offered to me yesterday, a low mag binocular microscope was the pick of the bunch, but it look like there might be a Watec 902H in the offing as well.

Sooo what can I do with it, and what do I need to get to run it. After a bit of searching an all sky camera might be a possibility, but I would like to test the waters with video astronomy.

Kit wise I do have an easycap and cables laying around, I also have a variety of power supplies so at least I can test it. For video astronomy my 130PDS and 100ED can go on a HEQ5. Any pointers for adapters to tie the scope and camera together.

All-Sky-Camera. I do not have a lens and want to try something cheap, so any pointers on a cheap lens to try it out, happy with used stuff on ebay. I have looked at the various ASC build blogs etc, so if I do decide to stick with this route I would build a permanent mounting for it.

Thanks

Look for a CS mount wide angle lens e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Camera-Lens-8-mm-focal-length-manual-focus-C-CS-Mount-1-3-format/162715437684?hash=item25e2988a74:g:v7oAAOSwTEBZ5cGl but you will also need the power supply & depending on how you want to view the images ?  you'll either need a monitor that can accept a composite video input or a Composite to USB converter e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-USB-Audio-Video-Easycap-Capture-Card-Composite-to-USB-Transfer-Cable/252327583850?hash=item3abfe5606a:g:atgAAOSwopRYbLSb

The watec 902h is a very sensitive camera,, I'm waiting on my second getting delivered, 

These cameras are widely used by folk for meteor detection,, add a wide angle lens, fit it to a heated CCTV camera casing, buy ufo capture software and your good to go.

Or as  stated an all sky camera set up

I will probably fit one to my finder guider scope , and use it that way,, fitted to dual finder scope bracket,  also a nice sensitive guide camera.

Cheers for the help, just ordered an adapter so I can connect it to my telescope. Got my hands on the camera today, have plugged it in to my sharpcap and it appears to be working.

I have been looking at lenses on ebay, the camera is 1/2" sensor, do I need to get a lens marked at 1/2 or will the 1/3 ones be usable?

Archived