Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First set advice and recommendations

I am new to stargazing and from what I have read binoculars are the best way to go for someone new. I have read a few posts in here about different makes etc but the More I read the more confused I get. 

I am looking for recommendations for a starter set around £100.

I have seen a set of Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Porro Prism Binoculars for £72 new but open to other ideas either new or used.

Many thanks in advance 

Welcome.

The website binocularsky is a good read. I personally like 8*42 as I can comfortably hand good them and they are also good for birdwatching. I like the wide field of view they give helps learn areas of the sky.

8 is the magnification and 42 the aperture of the light capture. They will show Jupiter's 4 main moons as pin dots of light.

I recently bought some 10x50 opticrons and they are just fine for me.  Any longer focal length would be too jittery.   I keep meaning to get hold of a tripod adapter so I can mount them onto my camera tripod.

It's nice to browse around the sky but the deep space stuff is still hard to find.  I can get the andromeda galaxy as a fuzzy blob and the pleiades look great.  I'm waiting to get a glimpse of the Orion nebula next.   I've not had much luck with anything smaller or fainter.   The moon is always fascinating.

I posted about this here: 

Maybe worth a quick read through that thread - I received plenty of good advice.  Good luck!

You'll probably come across the binocular mantra that goes something like: "the older you get, the smaller will your pupils open in darkness, so large apertures may give disappointing results".

Fair enough for the most part, but people are different of course, so a bit of DYOR might not be out of place.

Then again, during a recent eye test i asked the optician "how far do my pupils open?" and her response - "not very" :hmh:

1 hour ago, Azelfafage said:

You'll probably come across the binocular mantra that goes something like: "the older you get, the smaller will your pupils open in darkness, so large apertures may give disappointing results".

I sincerely hope not! It is the exit pupil, not the aperture, that is relevant in this regard. :D

Archived