Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

His all, I am a completely new person to stargazing, even don't know where the planets are yet, however I have a static caravan in the UK countryside and often spend time just looking up and wondering. I find the whole thing fascinating and wanting to do a little more to see our solar system.

I have been lurking in the background reading some of the posts and now decided to join and gain an understanding from your experience and knowledge, first port of call will be binoculars forum.

hi there,

you should download the phone app stellarium to get started as it will show the location of planets, stars, galaxies... everybody that's comes into the forum has this app recommended and I am one of many to benefit from it.

ger

1 minute ago, Ger said:

hi there,

you should download the phone app stellarium to get started as it will show the location of planets, stars, galaxies... everybody that's comes into the forum has this app recommended and I am one of many to benefit from it.

ger

Many thanks for this

Greetings, 01142007, and welcome to SGL.

I'd like to point out that Stellarium is available in most formats - including a large download for a PC, as well as an app for phone. It's a full-on planetarium-program capable of diverse things like helping to see what stars are up in the sky at anytime of day or night from your location - to operating a telescope outside your home while you watch TV indoors. Here's two screenshots. The first is how it looks when you first get it:

59fd6d8769c77_StellariumScreenshot-BeginningScreen.thumb.png.4f2d1506c25e942ea30e3a223b59338b.png

And my personal copy being used to identifying a satellite making it's way above me in orbit:

stellarium-653.thumb.png.f120b42d131990f9a88a50315e301097.png

The most amazing thing about it? It won't cost you anything. It's completely free.

http://www.stellarium.org/

It's good to have you here!

Dave

41 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I'd like to point out that Stellarium is available in most formats - including a large download for a PC, as well as an app for phone. It's a full-on planetarium-program capable of diverse things like helping to see what stars are up in the sky at anytime of day or night from your location - to operating a telescope outside your home while you watch TV indoors. Here's two screenshots. The first is how it looks when you first get it:

59fd6d8769c77_StellariumScreenshot-BeginningScreen.thumb.png.4f2d1506c25e942ea30e3a223b59338b.png

And my personal copy being used to identifying a satellite making it's way above me in orbit:

The most amazing thing about it? It won't cost you anything. It's completely free.

Dave

Thanks for this, the map looks amazing 

42 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Dave

Many thanks

Archived