Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

MarsG76

NGC1055 - Rarely Imaged?

Hi All,

I came across the knowledge of NGC1055 galaxy in Cetus by accident while looking at some Hubble images and thought that this Galaxy was possibly a rarely imaged object since I didn't see any images posted of it. Googling this galaxy there are a few amateur images, but still not as many as other galaxies or objects and seems very unpopular.

This galaxy was not in my "Star Walk" app so I thought that perhaps its not in the simpler star map programs that people use? or due to the fat that it is quite faint... it is in Cartes Du Ciel and Star Map HD. 

Enough of my google babble, tech specs time... this was imaged using my NexStar 8SE on the CGEM mount at F10 (2032mm) through my unmodded DSLRs. I initially started imaging the galaxy using my Canon 7D to try to get a higher resolution but realised that the 7D is not only as sensitive as my 40D, modded or unmodded, but a 600 second sub heated up the sensor to 43 degrees as reported by APT. Surely this would generate more noise but I decided to allow the rest of this and next night to image using the 7D.

I was curious about the difference between the sub quality between my 40D and 7D so I changed the DSLR used to the stock 40D and the difference was staggering... the 40D only heated up to 21-23 degrees, there was more of the galaxy visible in the 600 second sub but the subs had a noticeable less noise.  

Each night conditions were very similar, seeing, temperature etc, so I figure that the reason for higher sensitivity was the fact that the 40D has physically bigger pixels and so more photos hit each of the receptors...

Total Exposure time was:

57 x 600 sec subs (20 subs through the 7D and 37 subs on the 40D)

23 x 150 sec subs (all 40D)

12 x 60 sec subs (all 40D)

The galaxy was mid height in my northern sky and I always started imaging 10-15 degrees east of the meridian until sunrise, so I only really had about 3 hours per night of imaging it before the galaxy was obscured... that includes finding the guide star, calibrating and start the process which took about 30 minutes.

It's not anywhere near the hubble image or most of the amateur images but I hope you like it, thanks for looking...

NGC1055_Oct2017_sm.thumb.jpg.f7199f19ca41c488204785431a553ef8.jpg

IMG_9906.JPG

• Like 8

Nice image of what may be a rarity. At least nothing I could image from up here in Sweden. You do have some gradients and odd background colouring in the image so I could not stop myself from having a go at it with Gradient Exterminator in Photoshop to clean the background up a bit. Hope you do not mind.

NGC1055_Oct2017_smGN.jpg

• Like 3

A first for me , never seen this one,

quite an nice galaxy and a good job taken with the slr's

Göran done a good job on the colour noise which has

helped.

well done

Paul

• Like 1

PS.

I wonder if the odd background colour patterns of you DSLR could be caused by heat. Heat is nice in many ways (one reason why I have spent my last 20 Scandinavian winters in Queensland), but it is not great for astrophotography. I tried some astrophoto with a DSLR in Queensland in January and the noise was terrible compared to what I am used to up here. I gave up and my thought was that I needed a chilled camera if I would try this again in Australia.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Thanks for this.  looks a challenging target and you seem to have done it justice

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gorann said:

PS.

I wonder if the odd background colour patterns of you DSLR could be caused by heat. Heat is nice in many ways (one reason why I have spent my last 20 Scandinavian winters in Queensland), but it is not great for astrophotography. I tried some astrophoto with a DSLR in Queensland in January and the noise was terrible compared to what I am used to up here. I gave up and my thought was that I needed a chilled camera if I would try this again in Australia.

Heat might be a factor at the very least, but I think another factor is vignetting and skyglow/light pollution, since the direction and thickness of the color noise does seem to be coming from the direction on the city... I do find that camera RAW does a very good job at removing unwanted noise and stacking multiple , but that said, a uncooled camera will never match a cooled astro cam... the temperature difference between the 7D and the 40D was about 20 degrees and that did show a big difference in the sensitivity of the galaxy on the sensor as well as the noise level.... imagine the same thing kept at around freezing point.

Edited by MarsG76

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

Thanks for this.  looks a challenging target and you seem to have done it justice

This galaxy was a bit of a challenge. Initially I though that the data was useless, as on first look at the stacked image, it look quite bad... number wise it doesn't seem as faint as most galaxies, mag 12.5, but in practice it seems to be dimmer.. normally a 10 minute sub shows a fair bit of a galaxy on a single sub but this one was barely a smudge.

I was even surprised how much detail I could tease out, but I did process in segments, stars, faint and bright galaxy part separate, than mask the wanted details into the final to end up with what I did.

Edited by MarsG76

On 11/3/2017 at 05:43, gorann said:

Nice image of what may be a rarity. At least nothing I could image from up here in Sweden. You do have some gradients and odd background colouring in the image so I could not stop myself from having a go at it with Gradient Exterminator in Photoshop to clean the background up a bit. Hope you do not mind.

NGC1055_Oct2017_smGN.jpg

Brings the galaxy out, but I think it stands out a bit too much, personally I'd split the difference and leave some of the space color noise to help blend the galaxy into the picture... thanks for the heads up about Gradient Exterminator.. another tool to add to my PS processing arsenal.

I attempted to get rid of the thermal glow and vignetting using photoshop masking...  I thought that maybe a little bit of the glow might be a bit better since it was there and helpt to east the galaxy into the blackness of space but Ithink that the Gradient exterminator glow reduction by performed Gorann works too.

NGC1055 Oct2017.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.