SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maplin Case - 127 mak

Hello fellow stargazers! 

I'm looking for a case to keep my 127 mak safe and secure. 

Have read about people using the High Impact Case that Maplin sell. I think it may be the following one (which has just gone on offer): 

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr

Does anyone use this for their mak (or other scope) just now?

I'd really appreciate if anyone could provide a couple of pictures showing their mak in it....so I can get an idea of space and what kit I can store in it. 

Please feel free to share any other possible solutions as well. I'd like to try and keep it under £50 if possible for a storage solution. 

Many thanks, 

Davy

Hello there,

ive got the same scope as you - I got a flight case from US PRO TOOLS - it’s their code 333. It looks like they’re out of stock at the mo though. But it was 38.99 with foam inserts, bombproof and waterproof and a great fit for the scope and a coup,e of eyepieces;

https://usprotoolboxes.com/product/flight-case-photography-tool-box/

I’ve included a couple of pics with my scope in the box so if nothing else, you can use it as a guide for checking dimensions!

B7541BEF-EDBF-4C0C-A440-463103CCD5C0.jpeg

73A22D7E-3663-47B1-B79C-B9F97E417F4F.jpeg

That's fantastic - thanks a lot for providing pictures :thumbsup:

Size looks ideal, I was hoping that the Mak would fit in with the diagonal still fitted! And that I would be able to put some eyepiece in around it to allow me to just grab one case if I wanted to take it away in the car. 

Really like that it has clips at the side as well, looks really secure.

I've never come across that website before so I'll have a wee look at them. The reason I was looking at Maplin is because there is one fairly close so I wouldn't need to pay for postage. If it was a better case though, then I wouldn't grumble about a difference of a fiver! 

I keep mine in an old Tamrac 978 or 979 video camera case I had lying around from the 90s.  Basically, treating the OTA like camera or video equipment.  I had originally thought about a hardside case, but realized I could put that old case to good use.

@Mr niall the case you suggested has come back into stock. I had another look and it looked as though the one you have is slightly bigger than the one in was looking at from maplin. I also like the fact it has 4 clips to secure the lid, so I've gone and ordered the one you use! Thanks for the link and images.

On a sidenote....is that a hyperflex zoom that you have attached to the mak? Ive been thinking about getting a zoom for the mak and have just come across the hyperflex 9-27mm on FLO. Was wondering what it was like.

Thanks,

Davy

20 hours ago, davyludo said:

@Mr niall the case you suggested has come back into stock. I had another look and it looked as though the one you have is slightly bigger than the one in was looking at from maplin. I also like the fact it has 4 clips to secure the lid, so I've gone and ordered the one you use! Thanks for the link and images.

On a sidenote....is that a hyperflex zoom that you have attached to the mak? Ive been thinking about getting a zoom for the mak and have just come across the hyperflex 9-27mm on FLO. Was wondering what it was like.

Thanks,

Davy

Hi pal - that’s great hope it works out for you, I reckon it’s a perfect fit for mine and cheap as chips.

yes it’s the hyperflex but the 7-21mm version. It’s really good, smooth and sharp at all mags. I basically use a Vixen NPL 30mm for widefield and the hyperflex for everything else. Makes life super easy if you are lazy like me! 

Niall

1 hour ago, Mr niall said:

Hi pal - that’s great hope it works out for you, I reckon it’s a perfect fit for mine and cheap as chips.

yes it’s the hyperflex but the 7-21mm version. It’s really good, smooth and sharp at all mags. I basically use a Vixen NPL 30mm for widefield and the hyperflex for everything else. Makes life super easy if you are lazy like me! 

Niall

I'm sure it'll all work out fine - the case certainly does look like a perfect fit for the Mak. Also looks like it has plenty of space for adding more fun bits in the future! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info about the zoom. I was out on Saturday for a few hours with the Mak and was finding that I tend to swap eyepieces more with the Mak than I seem to do with the ST102. Was observing the moon for a while and thought "this would be a lot easier with a zoom, but I don't know if I want to splash out on a Baader in case I don't like it". I know that dedicated eyepieces will probably give better views, but for convenience a zoom and a single wide-field would be great....especially for just faffing about with a quick session or going away to a dark site. 

Time for some more research! 

Thanks again for you help - I'll post a pick of the Mak in it's new home once I've sorted it out (probably next weekend). Although it probably won't look much different to yours! 

1 hour ago, davyludo said:

I'm sure it'll all work out fine - the case certainly does look like a perfect fit for the Mak. Also looks like it has plenty of space for adding more fun bits in the future! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info about the zoom. I was out on Saturday for a few hours with the Mak and was finding that I tend to swap eyepieces more with the Mak than I seem to do with the ST102. Was observing the moon for a while and thought "this would be a lot easier with a zoom, but I don't know if I want to splash out on a Baader in case I don't like it". I know that dedicated eyepieces will probably give better views, but for convenience a zoom and a single wide-field would be great....especially for just faffing about with a quick session or going away to a dark site. 

Time for some more research! 

Thanks again for you help - I'll post a pick of the Mak in it's new home once I've sorted it out (probably next weekend). Although it probably won't look much different to yours! 

I bought the zoom on the forum here actually. I've not used any other zooms but the person I bought it off said it was certainly ball-park comparable to the Hyperion in terms of viewing quality. It's certainly the perfect combo for me, I couldn't cope with more than a couple of eyepieces my poor head would explode!

Well, the case arrived mid week and I've just had the chance to sit down and play scope Tetris! Mak is nice and snug, and there is plenty of space left for additional bits and bobs. 

The case feels absolutely bullet proof. Pretty sure you could drop it down a staircase and it would be fine....not going to test that theory though!

Thanks @Mr niall for the suggestion.

20171111_195548.jpg

Archived