Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

I have been outside 4 nights waiting for this chance to come just for this challenge :) , approx 20 hours plane spotting. So many near misses, and I almost gave up. I have seen thousands of planes criss crossing the sky coming within mm's of the Moon.

This was going to be my last night's attempt. It payed off, I got the shot I wanted, and it was straight through the middle. My heart raced when I realised it was on target, how odd :) 

I got 28 images from the nose at the limb to the tail at the limb.

High altitude Jet fly by of the Moon.

Equinox 80ED Pro & Canon 1300D video mode ISO800 highest shutter speed. 

Cheers

Nige.

image_edited.jpg.2dbe66a6fd3a3fb6408435b4bd58004b.jpg

Edited by Nigel G
  • Like 8

Excellent shot :) I was looking through the view finder of my camera at the moon the other night, with my remote release in my hand, when I was taken by surprise by a plane flying a cross. For some reason I didn’t press the button. Would have probably missed anyway. Glad you captured it in the end.

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great video!

I'm glad your 20 hour's patience was rewarded in the end by a perfect transit.

Rolf

• Thanks 1

Excellent shot and video, patience rewarded!

It always makes me jump when a plane crosses the moon when I'm observing it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Excellent shot and video, patience rewarded!

It always makes me jump when a plane crosses the moon when I'm observing it!

Thanks for your comments.

Stu, I started off trying to capture the shot with single snap shots, soon realised it would not work unless I had lightning reactions which I don't :) There was a close fly by where the wing of a plane clipped the moon, I got in a bit of a state as it approached, fumbling fingers and slightly shaking I pressed the shutter about 2 seconds too late, then had to calm down a bit :D  I would love to see that moment on video, after the incident I had to laugh at myself and re think the procedure. Still this video got the heart rate up a little :) Just because its the shot I had been waiting for and its about to happen.....I had to run in and tell the wife "I got it I got it" To my surprise she was quite impressed :) 

Cheers

Nige.

• Haha 1

Nice one, funny :) 

Video much easier but still impressive to get, great to plan something and then see it come off perfectly :) 

• Like 1