Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron prism diagonal any good?

Ags

If it's the actual original one made by celestron then it's good unless your into spending highend dollars for something that may or may not show much of any difference . But if you want to go a little better but not max amount you could buy a Celestron 2" diagonal which has adapter for both 2" and 1.25" EPs' . I have the original 1.25" that came on my C8 from 1997 and in 2010 I bought the 2" diagonal which has the XLT coatings . Honestly I cannot tell the difference  in the prism . But it also depends what EPs' you have . If you have high $$$ EPs' then you should match the glass with likewise diagonals .

https://www.celestron.com/products/2in-mirror-diagonal-with-xlt-coatings

16 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Honestly I cannot tell the difference  in the prism

:icon_scratch: The Celestron XLT to which you linked is a mirror diagonal, not a prism diagonal.  Is the 1.25" diagonal that came with your C8 also a mirror as opposed to a prism diagonal?

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

:icon_scratch: The Celestron XLT to which you linked is a mirror diagonal, not a prism diagonal.  Is the 1.25" diagonal that came with your C8 also a mirror as opposed to a prism diagonal?

No the one that came with my C8 new was a prism . The 2" diagonal now that Celestron has is mirrored

• 4 years later...

Still thinking about this and googling lead me back to my own long-forgotten thread! I am stuck in an infinite loop of confusion...

I am curious about how a prism diagonal can influence spherical and chromatic aberrations, not necessarily for the worse! So I have picked one up to try. I could have got a Tak, but they use lower dispersion glass which isn't what I want in this case - I want the non-neglible impact on aberrations.

I do have a nice dielectric too, so curious how this will stack up.