SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

diy pier advice ,tube size

iwols

after looking at various piers for my heq5 with ed80 and st80 plus the usual filters /focuser and camera i thought ide make my own ,looking at 1000mm tube 3 mm wall and 125mm in diameter with 200 mm 5mm round plate at each end to attach to large concrete block on the floor and 2 suzuki brake discs to fit my heq5,would 125mm tube with 3mm wall at 1000mm be strong enough ,any thoughts and advice welcome

You can see the pier and what I did here ->

Looking back, I could have made it longer but at the time I wasn't planning on putting a shed over it, so I lose anything below about 30 degrees but for imaging that#s not really a great problem.

I’ve just finished my pier, it’s 1m tall, 6 inch round tube 6mm thick with 2 10mm plates top and bottom. The top plate is 20cm square and the bottom plate is 30cm square. It is completely solid even if I jump around it while imaging.

Archived