Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

AKB

EAA 20171027 - post processed results

AKB    470

October 27, 50% moon, but it was clear, so EAA called.

Whilst the raw images were always going to be nothing to write home about, I decided to go for fewer targets with longer exposures.  So here are some processed results from longer-than-usual EAA data:

• Andromeda - 30 x 60s
  • Western Veil (plus a bit of Pickering) - 5 x 300s
  • Wizard - 5 x 300s
  • Pelican - 5 x 300s

C9.25 Hyperstar, QHY8L OSC, Avalon M-Uno, guided and dithered with Nebulosity and PHD2.  No filters.  Processing mostly just stretching and saturation.

So not really EAA?  However, I'd be far too embarrassed to post this in an imaging section (colours and backgrounds are dreadful) ...

20171027_M31-Hyperstar-QKY8L-30x1m.thumb.jpg.76470be225958c2ed8cec49416883c83.jpg

20171027_WesternVeil-Hyperstar-QHY8L-6x5m.thumb.jpg.fc641dd8221809b69d286cd14c21415e.jpg

20171027-Wizard-Hyperstar-QHY8L-6x5m.thumb.jpg.1b34ee14f71bdee1d9371963b4ba80f6.jpg

20171027-Pelican-Hyperstar-QHY8L-6x5m.thumb.jpg.52a5f083a12e8b800236673086ee642e.jpg

Edited by AKB
added further excuses
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

RobertI    945

I think the first one would definitely qualify for EAA, they are all lovely images though, your Hyperstar is a great setup for EAA. 👍

• Thanks 1

AKB    470

Thanks for that.  Yes, the Hyperstar is great for EAA, and really 60 second exposures are long enough for most things.   I'm sure the moon has modified the colours somewhat and I'm pondering what filters to try... perhaps a CLS, although I don't believe that light pollution is too much of an issue here, the IR cut might help too.  Will try again anyway in darker skies.

I still haven't got the Hyperstar tuned very well yet: more to do on cable layout and also collimation.  The trouble is that there's not enough good sky time to make these adjustments with any degree of efficiency.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

MartinFlower    14

looks ace to me. I use an ultrastar without a hyperstar so my exposures are slower. I posted an M33 in imaging, far worse than any of those !

• Thanks 1

Robrj    83

Those are amazing shots.  I always found it funny when imagers focused on the tiniest details and complain that their images are terrible.  I would think to myself, "I wish mine looked that terrible."  :)

• Thanks 1

stash_old    161
1 hour ago, Robrj said:

Those are amazing shots.  I always found it funny when imagers focused on the tiniest details and complain that their images are terrible.  I would think to myself, "I wish mine looked that terrible."  :)

Understatement is a staple of traditional English culture :lol:

• Haha 1