First real eyepiece purchase?

leo82

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too don't think it's important that eyepieces are parfocal. If they are you still have to readjust the focus slightly after changing between them, if they're not you have to readjust the focus a little more.

What's more important is that your eyepieces can handle a fast telescope, like your f/5. I know that Televue (all), Explore scientific (68° and 82°), Maxvision (all), the new Meade 82° and Baader Morpheus (76°) work well in an f/5. I've heard good things of the BST Starguiders and there must be more that would suit your fast scope. The Celestron Xcel eyepieces are reported to be good for slower telescopes than yours (f/7 and up).

If I had to start again, I would want exit pupils of 1, 3 and 5 mm. You will get those from 5, 15 and 25 mm eyepieces. (Exit pupil = eyepiece focal length / telescope f/number). Together with a 2x Barlow these would cover the complete realistic magnification range of your telescope, with a factor 10 between your lowest and highest magnification.

Yes - don't be lured in by claims that this or that series of eyepieces are 'parafocal.' They will, nonetheless, require some adjustments moving from one to another. And the more you observe with the one's supplied with a scope, the better an idea you'll have of what you'll want next.

Last Analysis - Take your time. It's not a horse-race. We all started the hobby once and felt compelled to immediately buy-up a warehouse of add-ons. Which is why the 'Used' market is always worth looking at to save some £££$$$. You'll be glad you did. Most of the things you'll find are in close to 'new' condition! :thumbsup:

Dave

The 12mm BST Starguider is a fine eyepiece. If your after a discount by getting two eyepieces, the the 8mm is worth considering as a pair.

I often state matching the first eyepiece to the focal ratio then double the ratio for the next eyepiece, giving a 5mm for high power and 10mm for 'optimal' use, medium power, for your f/5 scope. 

I have an f/6 and as you will see, there's a 6 & 12 to suit, but more often than not, its the 8-12 that gets most use, although I use them all to find the best result during the session.

Likewise, going a little lower in the focal length, 8 & 12 would work just as well on your Heritage. You won't know unless you try them,  but one thing for sure, if their not for you, return them!

As long as eyepieces are with a few millimeters of each other, refocusing isn't a bit issue.  However, when it is 20mm or more out, that's an issue.  My 12mm Nagler T4 was so annoying to throw in the focuser that I added about 20mm of 2" diameter O-rings and a 20mm 2" extension tube to the bottom of it so it would be roughly parfocal with the rest of my eyepieces.  In an undriven telescope, by the time I've refocused, the object may have moved out of the field of view, particularly at high powers.  At that point, it may be difficult to find best focus on the faint field stars left in the field of view.  That, and I have to try to reacquire the target.

The ES-92, ES-100, and ES-120 eyepieces also work well in faster scopes as do Pentax and Nikon eyepieces.

21 hours ago, Ruud said:

The Celestron Xcel eyepieces are reported to be good for slower telescopes than yours (f/7 and up).

I wish to add a note, the Xcels, I hear they are among the worst eyepiece of all time (I think Dave in Vermont has the experience with those) But the Xcel LX are very good with my F5 Newtonian, they are well corrected, comfortable to use and very descent views. (25mm, 18mm and 5mm I own)

Named the "Worst Eyepiece Ever" title in CloudyNights, the Celestron X-Cel 5mm - Note: no 'LX' after the 'Xcel.' - gives one a giant kidney-bean for a view, but little else! I have one for general amusement. Someday I hope to pass it around at a 'Star-Party.'

Then run! :p

Dave

5a03965a6a035_WorstEyepieceEver.jpg.b23e1440e22dcb768f72c46636385b55.jpg

21 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Named the "Worst Eyepiece Ever" title in CloudyNights, the Celestron X-Cel 5mm - Note: no 'LX' after the 'Xcel.' - gives one a giant kidney-bean for a view, but little else! I have one for general amusement. Someday I hope to pass it around at a 'Star-Party.'

Then run! :p

Dave

5a03965a6a035_WorstEyepieceEver.jpg.b23e1440e22dcb768f72c46636385b55.jpg

1 hour ago, John said:

At least Celestron listened and made big improvements with the X-Cel LX's :icon_biggrin:

Not calling them "X-Cel II" was probably a good move as well !

X-Cell or X-Cell LX or X-Cell ll .

If the Original X-Cell are that bad and  Celestron  recognised  the problem and made improvements. If I was marketing the new improved eyepieces, I would leave the X Cell bad rep behind all together. They could of gone with Y or Z cell and have done with it to save confusion by potential future purchasers. 

If they kept Xcel in the name, I think it could be because they think Xcels were good eyepieces from the beginning, I would not be surprised. The same thing when I listen to an election speech from the losing party, usually, they talk like if they were the winners literally. 

Pride :p

uDhZl1C.png

17 hours ago, leo82 said:

Well I bought an 8mm bst to try out, geez they’re a lot bigger than the standard 10mm! Lovely looking eyepiece though and looks well built. Just need this cloud to go away now.

In most aspects it should better the supplied 10mm eyepiece, and is  useable/transferrable to larger scopes, if/when the time arrives.

Archived