SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing the ISS

sci3000

Hello all,

Firstly I would like to say what a great read this forum is. Thanks for all the info.I am just getting into astronomy - I purchased a pair of Bresser 10 x 50 binoculars at the end of last year and have had a fantastic time the last few months observing the night skies. I noticed in the newspaper today (Sat 20/09/08) that they have satellite prediction information and I am keen to have a go at observing the ISS. However, I am not sure how to interpret the information provided and wondered if anybody could help. The information is as follows:

London ISS[br /]From (BST) = 20:54[br /]To (BST) = 20:55[br /]Max elev = 17SSW[br /]Rise/set = SSW/SSW

How would I interpret the above data to have a bash at observing the ISS? Any help would be appreciated.

That means it'll rise in the SSW at 20:54 (british summer time) and set at 20:55 also in the SSW. I suspect that this might be a typo and it would be more likely to be setting towards the East horizon.

It'll only rise to a maximum altitude above the horizon of 17 degrees. Not a good sighting - wait for another one. It only takes 90 minutes or so to orbit the Earth so there'll be plenty of other opportunities.

Have yet to see the ISS myself.

According to Starry Night Pro, there's a better opportunity later on for your location in London: rises 22:25 (WSW), sets 22:35 (ENE), maximum altitude

82 degrees (almost directly overhead) at 22:30. However, at that time the Sun might be too far below the horizon for the ISS to reflect any light.

Welcome to SGL btw.

Hello, From those figures, I would say the ISS is only going to be visible for 1 minute Are you sure you got the rise and set times right.? However, the direction rise and set seems to suggest the same thing, that the station is just going to peek over the horizon in the South South West,

for a 1 minute duration. You will get a better opportunity at some other time.

Keep visiting the site .

Ron.

Thanks a lot for the info (and the welcome). Sounds like observing the ISS tonight is looking a bit optimistic to say the least! Oh well, I will dig out the compass and attempt the later viewing as suggested. I believe the skies will be clear here this evening so any excuse to venture out with the binoculars and planisphere...

• 1 month later...

Hi from a fellow newbie. A great bit of free software that I use with heavens-above is Orbitron This is really helpful as it is pictorial in showing not only the ISS but nearly all the other satellites up in the skies with predictive data as well. I used it to set up my camera to capture a couple of

passes

Archived