SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aliens- do they exist?? Poll section  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think aliens exist?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
  2. 2. If aliens do exist, do you think we should fear them or befriend them?

• lets all just get along..
    • humans can't handle each other, we sure can't handle aliens.
    • depends on the aliens..
  3. 3. If aliens were to arrive on earth tomorrow, how would you react?

• Run
    • Panic
    • Fight
    • Ask for an alien telescope (they came from space, maybe they have superscopes)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Disgraced himself somewhat if I remember correctly ?

Dave

Really? Didn't know that. Thought his plot was a bit iffy around the edges but he made a fortune from it. I remember it used to be a supporting film at the cinema at one time. Chariots of the Gods...

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

We had our chance with the dawning of the Age of Aquarius when the world was just a great big onion now it's more of a great big time bomb :)

Dave

that made me laugh out loud Dave.

score one for the cynical.

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

The trouble with intelligence is that it is aimed at advancing or procreating each ones personal or sometimes family DNA and nothing more, pets have the right attitude..

Getting back on topic I think we are far more likely to contact the Aliens intelligent machines that may be very small and would probably never get noticed.

Alan

this!

Yes!

Nanobots with light sails propelled by massive lasers to go zipping through the Alpha Centauri system in less than 2 minutes at 20% the speed of light and we somehow get that information back. Total trip time around 40 years to get there, around 40 years for the information to get back. Not going to be a complicated conversation. But we could share a lot of information. And spend the following eternity understanding it.

We could do this in the next 20 years though.

And now is the time to blow the wad doing it, since exponential expansion is underway as we speak.

We could theoretically broadcast this way to the closest systems and have little signatures of how to find us all over the place in less than 150 years.

4 minutes ago, Badweather said:

We could theoretically broadcast this way to the closest systems and have little signatures of how to find us all over the place in less than 150 years.

Be careful what you wish for :grin:

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Be careful what you wish for :grin:

Dave

haha,

oh, I know!

I'm just firmly in the space is too big and getting too much bigger way too fast for our tool building noodles to ever catch up camp to truly be worried about aliens evil or otherwise stopping by for dinner one day.

1 hour ago, Delasaurus said:

Really? Didn't know that. Thought his plot was a bit iffy around the edges but he made a fortune from it. I remember it used to be a supporting film at the cinema at one time. Chariots of the Gods...

As I recall he had served several prison sentences for fraud and then plagiarised most of the material for his " Chariots of the Gods "

Dave

3 minutes ago, Badweather said:

haha,

oh, I know!

I'm just firmly in the space is too big and getting too much bigger way too fast for our tool building noodles to ever catch up camp to truly be worried about aliens evil or otherwise stopping by for dinner one day.

I think you are saying that you believe the scope universe is too big for us ever to have any interaction with aliens, regardless of whether they exist or not? I would agree with that.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I think you are saying that you believe the scope universe is too big for us ever to have any interaction with aliens, regardless of whether they exist or not? I would agree with that.

Hi Stu,

Well there is that too yes, but I think if the universe wasn't expanding at an ever increasing rate we might stand some chance of meeting up at least with their remains and artifacts.

I do believe that there are other intelligent beings in the universe. At least I think the odds are pretty high they already exist and are pondering these same questions.

But what I'm saying is that Vacuum energy, aka Dark Energy which we now know to be the quantum potential to suddenly have a particle is not a zero energy state. And this energy potential translates into a repelling, or anti gravity. This energy now makes up 70% of the energy in the universe so overcoming it is going to be impossible in the future when it makes up even more of the percentage of energy.

This means that the universe is carrying those aliens away from us at an ever increasing rate.

People like to talk about how the technology of the future could catch up to the generation ship we originally build and that this makes it more cost effective to wait. But I've never seen the ever expanding universe entered into this equation.

And it isn't a small point. It's the governing force in why our universe can never stop expanding and re-collapse.

In a re-collapsing universe, we'd have a much greater chance of encountering aliens I would think. And at some point the distances would become easily traversed with much simpler technology. Although soon after that (at least on cosmic time scales) the big crunch would kill us all.

1 hour ago, Badweather said:

And it isn't a small point. It's the governing force in why our universe can never stop expanding and re-collapse.

I wasn't aware that this question had been resolved yet i.e. Big Crunch or continuous expansion.

I must admit I think it is largely irrelevant in this particular question. Even reaching stars within our own galaxy is likely to remain impossible, and even then the time scales required, and the likely different timing of any civilisation make it very unlikely for contact to happen. This is just within the galaxy so whether or not the universe continues expanding is a moot point. We would be long gone by the time billions of years have passed and any Big Crunch has any noticeable effect.

• 2 months later...

Of course they exist (and I'm shocked to see the poll numbers), but only in radio wave frequencies and then only if Bill Nye acquiesces. Neither do they count as encountered by Rick Strassman's subjects b/c, when he asked David Deutsch about such, Deutsch said we'd need a computer the size of the universe to effect such a communication, and if there were one we'd have seen it. Never mind how far out of our way we've had to go just to posit their non-existence, or the experiences of non-qualified observers (e.g., non-police, non-scientist, etc.), "I refute [them] thus." (I kicked something non-existent.)

On 01/11/2017 at 07:59, ollypenrice said:

It is perfectly possible to envisage high intelligence and low, or no, technology.

Absolutely bang on.   Whales and dolphins are highly intelligent, arguably more so than humans, but they lack the means to manipulate their environment.  And we cannot properly communicate with those, even here on Earth, in lab conditions.

yes, I am sure life exists.  Intelligent life we can communicate with out there? Go back to your Star Trek books......

10 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Absolutely bang on.   Whales and dolphins are highly intelligent, arguably more so than humans, but they lack the means to manipulate their environment.  And we cannot properly communicate with those, even here on Earth, in lab conditions.

yes, I am sure life exists.  Intelligent life we can communicate with out there? Go back to your Star Trek books......

Having just read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel  it seems quite clear that even intelligent life doesn't necessarily lead to an advanced technical civilisation. Ii could be highly influenced by geography and geology and in turn how they influence ecology.

70% of us that voted believe that aliens exist, quite a high statistic.... I also voted a “yes” 

But I differ in the sense that I believe aliens have visited this planet and are still doing so...... and why not ? it is a lovely place and is full of wonderful life forms and lets face it there have been some very influential and brilliant minds pop up along the way so far...... and despite a few trying to dictate their will on us all, we could have a lot to offer ?

11 minutes ago, Pig said:

70% of us that voted believe that aliens exist, quite a high statistic.... I also voted a “yes” 

But I differ in the sense that I believe aliens have visited this planet and are still doing so...... and why not ? it is a lovely place and is full of wonderful life forms and lets face it there have been some very influential and brilliant minds pop up along the way so far...... and despite a few trying to dictate their will on us all, we could have a lot to offer ?

I am with you on this..

Alan

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think it quite possible that aliens have visited us - there are many unexplained "sightings".

I agree Gina.... some of them are very credible too ? especially so the military and civilian pilots who are pretty experienced at what they do.

Archived