Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pacman Nebula in narrowband

Skipper Billy

Now fully calibrated and processed in Pixinsight. Pacman Nebula or more properly NGC281. Imaged with an ES 208mm f3.9 carbon fibre astrograph using an Atik 460 EX Mono camera, Atik EFW2 filter wheel and Baader narrowband Ha, SII and OIII filters all binned 1x1. 4 hours Ha, 1.5 hours of SII and OIII all in 1800 second subs. Fully calibrated with Darks, Bias and Flats. Processed using the Hubble Pallet in Pixinsight. Mount used - AZ-EQ6-GT, guided with Skywatcher ST80 and Lodestar. Full resolution version here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/24191101398/in/album-72157675109735132/

Could have done with a lot more subs but the seeing was absolutely awful !! Quite happy for only second light with a new scope!

Constructive comments and suggestions most welcome.

pacman oct 2017.jpg

28 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

ES 208mm f3.9 carbon fibre astrograph

Wonderful image.....    "ES 208mm f3.9 carbon fibre astrograph"....   that sounds like a scope I could  get along well with, had to look it up,  looks the bizz.

The detail in the darker cloud features is really good, my attempts wash this out.

Is the scope difficult to tame / collimate, being of a fast design ??   Does it need its own Coma Corrector etc.....  ??

Sean.

Just now, Craney said:

Is the scope difficult to tame / collimate, being of a fast design ??   Does it need its own Coma Corrector etc.....  ??

Its not difficult - just need to be accurate - 'near enough' won't do at f3.9 !!

I used a Howie Glatter laser and a TubLug and on the bench it was perfect - a star test revealed that the secondary needed a very minor tweak.

I use the ES matching coma corrector designed for this scope - VERY sensitive to spacing but works well once its dialled in.

I still have a smidge of camera tilt but for only its second outing I am very happy with it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:53, Skipper Billy said:

Its not difficult - just need to be accurate - 'near enough' won't do at f3.9 !!

I used a Howie Glatter laser and a TubLug and on the bench it was perfect - a star test revealed that the secondary needed a very minor tweak.

I use the ES matching coma corrector designed for this scope - VERY sensitive to spacing but works well once its dialled in.

I still have a smidge of camera tilt but for only its second outing I am very happy with it.

How do you find it compares to the slightly slower Quattro ?

Archived