Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any point to an HA filter with this setup?

jschusterman

Hey all, I wanted to get some opinions. I'm looking into 2" filters to attach to a Baader MPCC and can't figure out if I should go with UHC, HA (and whether 7nm, 12nm, or something else), or some other form of light pollution filter. Here's the setup...

Celestron 8" Newt (hence needing to attach it to the MPCC, which then goes straight into an adapter that I bought that fits the 2" input so I can still get focus).
UNmodded Nikon D3100
Aiming for brighter galaxies and nebulae in light polluted skies (I live in NYC but drive out anywhere from 45min to 2.5 hours away. Still polluted of course).
Hoping to keep it under $200, so that would rule out some of the Astronomik HA filters.
Just generally want to combat light pollution from cities as well as be able to shoot on moonlit nights. And I'd love to get more detail contrast like we all see in HA exposures.

I've also read conflicting reports that HA filters are less useful or outright useless on unmodded DLSRs, but there's no consensus. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

- Josh

There is only any point in using a H-a filter with a DSLR if you have had it modified for IR sensitivity.

Assuming that you do that first then:

1) A UHC is a better first purchase and the astronomic clip is a good option in my opinion.

2) I would go with the 7nm Baader 2' over the astronomic clip.

I would modify your camera, but to be honest its probably better to grab a canon 600D and get that modified as opposed to sticking with the D3100.

Either way your better off spending your cash on modification of the camera before putting any money into a UHC or H-a filter.

Archived