Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Victorian Amateur Astronomer - Allan Chapman

jambouk

Allan Chapman's book, The Victorian Amateur Astronomer which was first published in 1998 is still an important read and source of references for anyone interested in the history of astronomy in Britain in the 19th century. Long out of print, second hand copies go for extortionate prices. Allan has been saying for at least 10 years that he is going to get a second edition printed with corrections, but now at last this is happening.

I'm told the second edition will be available in the next month or so. It will be available on Amazon and can be ordered through bookshops. Below is a leaflet about it which allows you to pre order copies from the publisher, with free P&P for the UK.

I have no financial interests in the book, though I did help Allan to get the ball rolling again to get the second edition moving, and I look forward to getting a copy.

James

The Victorian Amateur Astronomer.pdf

I've attended many talks by Dr Chapman, and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.
The last one was at Astrofest in London. Wonderful Orator, and amusing too. Just a great person
who can hold your attention, and makes every lecture so interesting.
Wonderful guy.

Many thanks for the heads up. I don't know the book but enjoy reading and listening to Allan Chapman and I think the subject matter has vast potential. I've often wondered about the great amateurs who, in the past, were regularly doing the original research.

I'll certainly order a copy.

Olly

I attended the Autumn Conference of the Society for the History of Astronomy yesterday in Birmingham. Alan Chapman gave a brilliant talk on Norman Lockyer a famous Victorian Astronomer. I always admire Alan for giving a lecture , without notes, and holds the audience spellbound.

I note that the book is published by Gracewing from a small market town in Herefordshire about 15 miles from my home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a well overdue reprint.  A fabulous read, full of information regarding my favourite era in astronomy.  I bought my copy on November 14th 1998 at the Leeds Astromeet.  If I recall correctly, they were the first copies available.  Allan always attended the Leeds meeting (unfortunately it was cancelled this year) and the books were delivered to coincide with Allan's talk on that day.  Yes - Allan was kind enough to inscribe my book on the day :).  Blimey, it was 19 years ago yesterday!!

If anyone is thinking of buying a copy, don't hesitate, it's a wonderful read with lovely illustrations.  Worth every penny of whatever it costs!

If I had any spare cash I'd buy a copy of the new edition to go with the original!

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2017 at 12:00, paulastro said:

If anyone who receives the new edition also has a copy of the original, it would be nice to hear what the differences are, and what's in the extra pages :smile:.  I hope it's not too much better than the original though, or I'll want a copy!

I don’t know if it’s good news or not, but the two editions are virtually identical. The new one only has a few extra notes on page 304, some references that were missing from the original and an errata on page 408.

Many thanks Bill.  A bit disappointing perhaps for those who already have a copy of the original and can afford to buy the new edition as well.  Good that it's available to people at a more reasonable price for those enthusiasts who can't afford to pay the hugely inflated prices that are asked for used copies of the original edition.  I hope there are enough copies of the new edition to go round - it's been a long time coming for the people  waiting for the book to come back into print.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just finished reading my Christmas present from my wife, Allan Chapman’s long-awaited second edition of the ‘The Victorian Amateur Astronomer’.

http://www.gracewing.co.uk/page504.html

This very well-researched book (with around 100 pages of notes and references) eloquently describes the metamorphosis of amateur astronomer in 19th century Britain from the era of the wealthy Grand Amateur carrying out fundamental astronomical research through to the professionalisation of astronomical research and the rise of astronomy as a leisure pursuit in the latter years of the Victorian era.

Allan Chapman’s writing is as erudite as his faultless oral presentations and holds the reader’s attention throughout this lengthy tome.  The book includes descriptions of the life and work of numerous 19th century amateur astronomers, with much of the writing putting their work into the much wider contexts of changes in scientific thinking, technological and manufacturing advances, and changes in the social circumstances and economics of the century.

This is a superb volume of work that I cannot recommend highly enough to anyone interested in the genesis and evolution of amateur astronomy in Britain.

Archived