Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble to Cave - new mosaic project (wip)

Uranium235

Well, what was that about me saying I should concentrate my efforts on one spot? ...lol.. I dont seem to have listened to myself! :D

So time to fire up another mosaic and continue where I left off at SGL XIII, except this time its something a little trickier than last years Cygnus mosaic (which is quite bright in comparison) - so its requiring a bit more exposure per panel (5 hours).... well apart from the 3rd panel on the right becuase I only managed to get 90min on that before having to pack up for the night.

When conditions allow I will finish that panel off and maybe top it up a bit more in Ha before going over it in OIII. After which I will consider whether its worth doing another row below it to take in a few more random Sharpless objects, and give a bit of a boost to the overall image scale. Processing is a little trickier than I expected becuase its all to easy to blow out the bubble nebula - so I had to employ a few layer masks to keep it under control.

To be continued.....

20x900 (Ha) Panels 1&2, 6x900 (Panel 3)

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

37945027056_529cb96e70_k.jpg

57 minutes ago, swag72 said:

That is a super mosaic...... I love seeing the Cave in there as well!! Top drawer Rob..... you certainly set the bar for these large mosaics and I always look forward to seeing your images :)

Thanks Sara :) Its just a shame its taking so long! The weather hasnt been kind for the past couple of months, and as for next week its bonfire night (actually itts started already!) so even if it was clear the conditions wouldnt exactly be ideal - not to mention the fast approaching full moon!

With luck I might be able to sneak a few hours in over the course of tonight or tomorrow.

Great stuff and a fine image :)  I need to get imaging again but what with gear problems and a continuing cold/cough I'm stymied :(  Weather is rarely nice too.  Good to see someone getting some good imaging in :)

A slight reprocess, Ive not hammered it so hard this time becuase I dont think that diffuse background Ha can take much stretching - plus a bit of a rebalance because I thought the backgrond levels on right hand panel looked too bright. Ive done more work on the dark dust than anything else, but I've taken a moment to hunt around google for a bit and there arent many images this wide that go that deep.... still, needs more work anyway to kill off the noise to my satisfaction:

37996047116_508affcb42_o.jpg

Archived