SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Incoming Tento 20x60s

F15Rules

I've been almost "Binocularless" since moving house back in March, (I just had left a pair of Zomz 8x30 CJZ Jenoptem clones).

With winter fast approaching, I've been hankering after some decent light grasp bins ready for Orion & co..

I'd been reading Steve's (Binocular Sky) excellent review on the latest entry level Opticron 10x50s, and was quite tempted by them. 

But having previously owned a pair of more powerful  Tento 20x60 Russian bins, and been well impressed with them, I trawled for a few days through ebay pages to see what was available, and was pleased to secure a good sounding pair for £85 shipped, complete with case, strap and the ubiquitous amber clip on eyepiece filters. 

That's about the same cost as the new price of the Opticrons mentioned above, and about what I paid for my last pair of Tentos several years ago.

I've still got my Ravelli (aka Amazon Essentials) trigger grip head and tripod which suits these bins well, so I'm all set.

I'll post up some pictures soon, to be followed by a first light report once I get a session in (and advance apologies for the likely end to end cloud cover now bound to curse this new purchase ?).

Dave

IMG_20171029_153657788.jpg

IMG_20171029_153626188.jpg

IMG_20171029_153618926_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171029_153550993_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171029_153512702_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171029_153457807_HDR.jpg

Well spotted, that's Kobi the Dobi, our Dobermann ?.

Hadn't noticed him there either.

Sadly, there is a slightly problem with this pair of Tentos..there are a couple of slight (but clearly visible) marks on the right hand side eyepiece. I can see them both at night and by day, and since they were sold as having "perfect optics", I think I'm going to return them for a refund, with some regret. The short peek I had of the Pleiades the other night was stunning, a real "diamonds on velvet" view..but those marks just spoiled it ?.

Dave

What a shame Dave. I've seen a few dodgy descriptions recently, a pair described as perfect when there was visible fungus on the objectives!

Are you likely to be able to pick up another pair fairly easily or are they not so common?

Hi Stu,

Yes, it's a bit of a bummer. I think I'll keep an eye out for another pair, or maybe another brand altogether.

The sellers description was very specific about the optical condition which is why I was so disappointed. I could probably have lived with the marks, but then, if I wanted to resell in the future it would understandably affect the value.

Anyway, the bright moon will be a pain for the next week or so, so no need to rush?.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this one off..

I returned the bins to the seller, and to be fair I got a full refund, and also he refunded my £12.98 return postage once he had received them back safely.

Sadly, this is the second time I've had to return bins to this seller, so I doubt I'll buy from him again.

After thinking about what to buy next, I've decided on the Opticron Adventurer T WP 10x50s as reviewed by Steve for the Binocular Shop.

Steve rated these as the best value under £125, with very high marks for Optical quality in particular☺.

I'll post up some thoughts once I get a parcel from FLO in the next few days?.

Dave

On 22/11/2017 at 22:47, F15Rules said:

Steve rated these as the best value under £125, with very high marks for Optical quality in particular☺.

I'll post up some thoughts once I get a parcel from FLO in the next few days?.

Curious to know if you agree with me, Dave. :icon_biggrin:

Archived