Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alright Mate!

PhotoGav

I couldn't resist a little play this afternoon, despite far from ideal conditions, but there was sunlight and that is enough to continue with experiments. The challenge remained to get the Lunt LS50THa working with a 2.5x PowerMate. I had failed yesterday as I couldn't quite get focus, but today I managed to push the barrel a little further into the 1.25" clamp piece, delicately of course! This was just enough to enable the system to focus. Halleluiah!!!

The next issue was a few bands of Newton's Rings appearing in the top right corner of the image. I unscrewed the T2 adapter from the end of the PowerMate adapter and wedged a rubber band in there to create some tilt. Another couple of rubber bands were employed to hold the camera in place. Miraculously the NRs had vanished. Halleluiah again! The only problem was horrendous light leak from an unsealed T2 join. I removed the rubber band creating the tilt and wound the two T2 pieces together one or two turns, not fully tight and to my amazement the NRs were still not present. If I tighten up the T2 join completely the NRs return. Very strange, but I am not complaining. So, the two external rubber bands remained to hold things in place and there is a bit of light leak, but I have a cunning plan to cover the join and eliminate that problem.

Here is my new 2.5x PowerMate elastic set-up:

SolarPowerMate_5568.thumb.JPG.4d65858a69ddacec0a8d8c84babfb936.JPG

and an image - hazy cloud constantly in the sky, so not the best, but it is a huge delight that the PowerMate has arrived at the party!

2017-10-28_Sol_CU-04.thumb.png.137a58e20f56b2c85d858d2996c5bcc1.png

Yes, there are a couple of extra dark areas thanks to a dirty PowerMate - the cleaning team will be called in forthwith...!

Hello Gav

Well done in  getting a great image together and I must say you have great skills in getting your setup preforming as you want it to and of course getting rid of them pesky NR's

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

27 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Pete, that’s how I had it configured before, but so far I am finding the new configuration to be better. I’m hoping to try it out more fully today. 

Interesting,  it's been so long since I started using the lunt I can not remember whether I tried it that way. I certainly uses elastic bands during my experiments with the asi120mm though.

Archived