sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

We are having our Autumn Conference in Birmingham tomorrow (28th October), open to members and non-members. The programme can be found here though has changed slightly:

https://societyforthehistoryofastronomy.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/2017-autumn-conf-flyer.pdf

Talks include:

·       Roger Salt - “The Antikythera Mechanism”

·       Eddie Carpenter - “An Astronomical Slide Show – lantern slides”

·       Dr Lee Macdonald – ''From Cracked Mirror to Nobel Prize: Fifty years of the Issac Newton Telescope''

·       Professor Donald Kurtz - “It's About Time”

·       Dr Allan Chapman – “The Civil Servant and the Sunbeam, Sir Joseph Norman Lockyer, pioneer of solar physics’.

Should be an educational day. I’ve just been setting stuff up and putting out a vast number of books to sell. If you are turning up on the day, the first talk by Roger Salt is now starting at 10:45am.

James

Society for the History of Astronomy Librarian

• Like 1

What a cracking day it was yesterday at the conference. All of the talks were excellent. I particularly liked Eddie's talk on lantern slides and the show he put on with them. The work that must have gone into making lantern slides is astonishing. I learnt something from all the lectures, far too many things to either remember or type here. 

Roger Salt's talk on the Antikythera Mechanism was very different from the ones I'd heard on the topic before.Much more about the discovery of the mechanism and the early investigations of it, rather than the focus being on the modern day analysis, though this was also covered. What a calm, considered and educated speaker. I'd recommend him to come and speak to any Society in the Midlands region.

Lee Macdonald's talk on the Isaac Newton Telescope was also very informative, and whilst I've read a few papers on the history of this, it was nice to hear Lee talk on the subject, and to see images I'd not seen before, including the state of the original mirror!

Donald Kurtz is another most engaging speaker, and pitched his talk perfectly. I'm unsure how to describe the content of his talk, but as the title suggests it was all about time. I'd never appreciated why the days of the week are named as they are (especially the names in French), and fascinating to hear about calendars. Donald also managed to pull in major components from the other speaker's talks which really gave a sense of the day having a theme.

Allan Chapman was on top form as always. A fascinating talk on spectroscopy and Norman Lockyer. His talks all interlink, like one huge spiders web, with associations and communications explained between all the various influential figures of the day. 

A really great day and very well attended.

I'm already looking forward to the Spring Conference in Cambridge with another great line up of speakers including Nik Symanec on the history of astrophotography.

James

• Like 1

Very interesting reports :smiley:

I know Eddie Carpenter - he is a member of BAS and we have been treated to a couple of his lantern shows since I've been a member. I had the pleasure of showing him some lovely views of the Sun in white light with my Lunt HW a few months back :smiley:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Greggy-spaceboy
      So I made this diagram to explain my ridiculous thinking which is probably wrong on many levels.  I am aware they are looking for planets within stars that have suitable or imitatable conditions to our planet to support the notion that "life could exist on other worlds" .... I wonder, (and this may already be the case) ... are they factoring the evolutionary development time , in particular from single cell to multicellular organisms and the other regions in the universe that will also share a similar time point as sol/ our galaxy is from the centre of the universe.  I just wonder if it is a thing where they explore within a specific range because of a justified thinking that other life will also evolve in a specific region of the universe... where is my thinking incorrect ? much appreciate any input on this... apologies for my stupid picture.

• By jambouk
      I've been sourcing books to sell at the coming Spring Conference of the Society for the History of Astronomy, and have especially been looking for those relating to the history of astrophotography as Nik Szymanek is giving a talk titled "The Road to Modern Astrophotography" and I know there is much interest in the topic. It's been fun finding books and looking through them when they arrive. I'm also looking forward to the day and especially to Nik's talk. 
      More information about the day can be found here:
      https://societyforthehistoryofastronomy.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/spring-conf-2018-poster.pdf
      James
      (SHA Librarian)
    • By jambouk
      The February 2018 edition of the Society for the History of Astronomy's e-News has just been published and can be downloaded from the website.
      James
      https://societyforthehistoryofastronomy.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/sha-enews-2018-01.pdf

• By jambouk
      Allan Chapman's book, The Victorian Amateur Astronomer which was first published in 1998 is still an important read and source of references for anyone interested in the history of astronomy in Britain in the 19th century. Long out of print, second hand copies go for extortionate prices. Allan has been saying for at least 10 years that he is going to get a second edition printed with corrections, but now at last this is happening.
      I'm told the second edition will be available in the next month or so. It will be available on Amazon and can be ordered through bookshops. Below is a leaflet about it which allows you to pre order copies from the publisher, with free P&P for the UK.
      I have no financial interests in the book, though I did help Allan to get the ball rolling again to get the second edition moving, and I look forward to getting a copy.
      James
      The Victorian Amateur Astronomer.pdf
    • By jambouk
      Following a talk last night on the use of colour filters in observational astronomy by Alan Heath at my local society, I looked for something on the history of eyepieces. I found this comprehensive document which does a pretty good job [and a detailed one] of working through the different groups of eyepieces there have been in the last hundred years or so. It's quite long, and there are lots of equations and the like, but these can be skipped over. I simply found this on the internet, I cannot take any credit for it.

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/BOOKS/EVOLUTIONofEYEPIECES.pdf
      James

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.