SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Computers in dome or sheds

I have mine turned off when not in use.  However, it is under an insulated dew shield which will help reduce the risk of dew.

Also I use a VERY cheap refurbished computer in the observatory (DELL Optiflex with dual core processor, 2GB RAM , 160GB HD + Windows 7 64 Pro all for £39 delivered! - courtesy of EBay) so there would be no great financial loss if it were to go bang.

IMG_20171027_131603250.jpg

Just now, michaelmorris said:

I have mine turned off when not in use.  However, it is under an insulated dew shield which will help reduce the risk of dew.

Also I use a VERY cheap refurbished computer in the observatory (DELL Optiflex with dual core processor, 2GB RAM , 160GB HD + Windows 7 64 Pro all for £39 delivered! - courtesy of EBay) so there would be no great financial loss if it were to go bang.

Me too. I use an HP machine from Ebay for £28. 

Mine is in my warm room and connected via an IP connected power outlet.  I turn it off after imaging remotely, and BIOS is set to turn on when power applied so as soon as I turn on the IP switch via any web browser I can then use RDP to log on to the 'puter.

I used to run a cheap used PC in my warm room, but my warm room gets very hot when the suns shines, and the electrolytic capacitors failed.

I replaced it with another cheap used PC but the same thing happened.

Of course I might just have been unlucky with PC's already on their way out.

Never had problems with humidity.

I now have a laptop dock permanently wired up to the mount, imaging and guide cameras, and a LCD display.

I save the DSLR images to a card in the laptop's SD slot, the laptop comes indoors after sessions, and the SD card goes into the indoors PC.

Michael

Did you all know that, if you have cash to throw at the project, you can get rufty- tufty armoured practically waterproof portables designed for outdoor work in damp environments?

On 28/10/2017 at 00:51, JOC said:

Did you all know that, if you have cash to throw at the project, you can get rufty- tufty armoured practically waterproof portables designed for outdoor work in damp environments?

Yeah, I've used Panasonic Toughbooks a lot with work in the past - not cheap but bullet proof. You might pick a second hand one at a semi-sensible price though. 

This works great: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reptile-Pet-Vivarium-Terrarium-Heating-Mat-Warm-Heater-Pad-Thermostat-Controller/122684035430?hash=item1c9089d166:m:m69Qgs5zHpQV91SvdfHZ5iQ

It keeps your laptop above dew temperature and doing so prevents dew in the electronics when the laptop is turned off.
The same kind of thing Olly mentioned.

On 10/27/2017 at 17:58, michael8554 said:

I used to run a cheap used PC in my warm room, but my warm room gets very hot when the suns shines, and the electrolytic capacitors failed.

I replaced it with another cheap used PC but the same thing happened.

Of course I might just have been unlucky with PC's already on their way out.

Never had problems with humidity.

I now have a laptop dock permanently wired up to the mount, imaging and guide cameras, and a LCD display.

I save the DSLR images to a card in the laptop's SD slot, the laptop comes indoors after sessions, and the SD card goes into the indoors PC.

Michael

I hadn't considered heat here in Texas.  In the summer, it can reach 110° F in the summer with high humidity (80° F dewpoint).  My attic easily hits 130° F or more at those times.  Any observatory would likely be as hot.  That sort of heat shrinks certain plastics stored in my attic.  Glues dry out and crumble.  I haven't tried storing electronics up there as a test, but I would probably go that route before committing to an observatory.  Active ventilation would probably be a must, but even then, 110° F is still excessive.

Hmmm,

It gets above 40 deg C regularly down here in Oz....Yes, things hot....

I have a old laptop permanently in the observatory for acquisition and control and touch wood after four years (in the current observatory) no issues. no drama.

I carry my laptop indoors after each session but then I have no obsy, so I'm under the naked sky :)

I let the laptop sit in its padded case during the night since it gets covered in frost. 

And I broke the bank when buying mine... About 300 Euros, refurbished. But then it is good for more than being astro slave in my back yard :D

Archived