Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

I present you an image of the Flaming star nebula and the Tadpoles.

I have 2 versions. Ha only and HOO.

I started with 4 panels mosaic shot with the 130PDS, each panel is ~2h exposures. Then I shot another 7.5h with the Canon 300 F4 L lens, but the result was awful, compared to the mosaic. So I added this only in a small amount and only on the darker areas of the image.

For the O3 image I only used the Canon lens. The IS element inside gives me a lot of headaches, and I have coma in some corners, other corners are out of focus, etc. And it behaves differently each session.
Not only the IS was not playing nice, but I also had focus shift due to temperature drop and I did not refocus.

The camera used was the ZWO ASI1600MMC, cooled to -15C.

180s subs at 300gain with the 130PDS and 300s subs at 139 gain with the Canon lens.

Mount: AZ-EQ5.

The lens was wide opened and the newton was corrected with a SW coma corrector, hence the halos around the brighter stars.

Guiding: OAG with 130PDS and side-guiding with a 200mm lens for the Canon lens shots.

Software: APT and PHD for acquisition; DSS, APP, StarTools, Registar, GIMP for processing.
When blending the O3 I had to abuse star reduction, star removal, heavy blurring, masks, layers, etc. for a decent result.

Link to a better resolution and other details: http://www.astrobin.com/315278/D/

Thanks for watching,

Alex

IC405-IC410-F300-F585-2017-10-02-Ha_p04.jpg

IC405-IC410-F300-F585-2017-10-02-Ha-F300-2017-10-17-O3_p05.jpg

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By widotje
      Hifolks,
      Here's my take on IC1396, let me know what you think.
      In total 7.5 hours exposure time using narrowband Ha, Sii, Oiii.
      Post processing in photoshop and lightroom.

Thanks for watching, clear skies!

• By Gib007
      THIS ITEM HAS NOW BEEN SOLD.
      This listing is for my personal narrowband filters (Kayron from Light Vortex Astronomy). They are the Astrodon Hydrogen-Alpha (HA), Oxygen-III (OIII) and Sulphur-II (SII) 3nm 1.25" narrowband set. These are considered the highest-end narrowband filters money can buy, able to produce images of exceptional quality and incredible sharpness, cutting through a vast amount of light pollution. The 3nm variants featured here are fantastic for pulling out fine nebulous structures clearly above background. For more information, please see Astrodon's website:
      https://astrodon.com/products/astrodon-narrowband-filters/
      Please note that these three filters together currently retail at just over £1,710 from UK suppliers, €2,180 from European suppliers or $1,690 from US suppliers. Payment is preferred via bank transfer but PayPal is OK with an extra 2.9% to cover PayPal fees. I'll cover postage to you via tracked Courier. 
      I welcome any questions you may have regarding this listing. Thank you for looking. 

• By alexbb
      The bubble nebula. Not much to add about the target itself as it is already popular enough.
      A combination of HOO shot with the ASI1600MMC + Astronomik narrowband filters through the 200mm newtonian tube removed from the dobson base and put on the EQ6-R.
      About 6h of exposure through the Oxygen filter and about 9h through the Hydrogen filter.
      Clicking on the pictures will redirect to the astrobin images where you can watch them in full resolution.
      Crop close-up

And widefield

Thanks for watching and clear skies to you too!
      Alex
    • By eshy76
      Hi everyone,
      The North America and Pelican nebulae are situated in the Cygnus constellation and are thought to be 1800 light years away. My favourite part of the image is "The Wall", which is the "Mexico" part of the North America nebula and is a source of intense star formation.
      The data for this image was collected all on one night and therefore could do with more integration, but I like the result. I've used my go-to "natural blend" narrowband (as originally suggested by Jon Rista on Cloudy Nights):
      R = 76%*Ha + 24%*SII
      G = OIII
      B = 85%*OIII + 15%*Ha
      I personally prefer this "natural blend" to the Hubble palette both in terms of look and ease of processing!

4 hours integration time, captured with WO Z73/ZWO ASI1600MM Pro/Astrodon Filters. Full details here.
      Thanks for looking!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.