Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

alhiggs

hale-bopp

ok comet 46/p will be at mag 3 next December what mag did hale bopp get too and will 46p be anything as bright as hale bopp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Wiki HB attained brighter then Mag 0 for 8 weeks.

It was spotted while still down at Mag 8, by eye from a dark site. The person didn't have a scope.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronin said:

According to Wiki HB attained brighter then Mag 0 for 8 weeks.

It was spotted while still down at Mag 8, by eye from a dark site. The person didn't have a scope.

Wow! I was about 9 when this came round remember it very well

I remember it being very bright and the tail being easily visible to the naked eye for several weeks in California. 

• Like 1

Best comet of my lifetime (so far...) was easily visible from my light polluted back garden at the time and seemed to hang around for weeks.

Photo attempt on Ektachrome 400 colour slide film....

37899332816_da907c2b94_h.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99
  • Like 10

Lovely photo - i remember using those Kodak slide films ! It was a glorious comet.

andrew

• Like 1

I remember Hale-Bopp quite well, even though I was far too busy raising two young children to be serious about astronomy. 

As for 46/p being mag3 let's hope so, but after Panstarrs and Ison I will believe it when I see it :icon_biggrin:

• Like 3

I saw Hale Bopp through my much missed Unitron Polarex 4" F15 refractor.

In those days my children were very young and I got little chance to observe much. But I read about the comet in S@N magazine (no internet like now then!), and resolved to have a look. As I recall it was visible in the north west?

I actually found the view much better in binoculars than the scope with it's narrow field, just like in laserjocks' lovely photo, but much fainter.

Let's hope this new one does deliver a bright view for us😋

Dave

• Like 1

I remember it very well - so easy to point out to people with it's brilliant nucleus and it's tail flared-out like an open hand.

A true 'show-stopper' hanging over my western skies in both Massachusetts and up to Vermont. I'd just moved up here, and Hale-Bopp followed along faithfully, perhaps an omen of encouragement? Hmmm... I'd forgotten about that - until your thread, Al!

Thank you!

Dave

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Yes remember it very well, standing outside with my, now deceased, father and staring up in wonder, a very special memory for me. 

Same here. Standing on the driveway with my dad (also now gone) just staring up at it night after night for weeks on end.

Don't forget Comet Hyakutake which preceded Hale Bopp.

Edited by ringz
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2017 at 16:32, ringz said:

Yep it was a remarkable 12 months for naked eye comets.  I met Thomas Bopp at a lecture a year after its grand display. He did not own a telescope at the time and have borrowed a friend's as I recall when he made that incredible discovery.  It was an amazing sight with a tail that seemed to stretch across the sky. Wish I had the equipment I own now back then!

• Like 2

You didn't have to wait until dark to see Hale Bopp.

Look at 1997 APOD images, you will get sick to death of seeing Hale Bopp pictures...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Anybody have any idea how long it was in the sky for?.

I beluve I read 18 months it was visible 

• Like 1

I used to always look for HB when getting home from work it also seemed the skies were clearer back then or is my memory fading?

On 27/10/2017 at 16:32, ringz said:

Great comet also- much longer tail than Hale-Bopp

37438676134_5f8777b30f_h.jpg

Hale-Bopp was amazing - could even see it from the pillow - wife  one night awoke me with "its there again !" Hyakutake was pretty good too - had both comets whilst BAA pres :)

Nytecam 

• Like 2