Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hale-bopp

alhiggs

43 minutes ago, ronin said:

According to Wiki HB attained brighter then Mag 0 for 8 weeks.

It was spotted while still down at Mag 8, by eye from a dark site. The person didn't have a scope.

Wow! I was about 9 when this came round remember it very well

I saw Hale Bopp through my much missed Unitron Polarex 4" F15 refractor.

In those days my children were very young and I got little chance to observe much. But I read about the comet in S@N magazine (no internet like now then!), and resolved to have a look. As I recall it was visible in the north west?

I actually found the view much better in binoculars than the scope with it's narrow field, just like in laserjocks' lovely photo, but much fainter.

Let's hope this new one does deliver a bright view for us?

Dave

I remember it very well - so easy to point out to people with it's brilliant nucleus and it's tail flared-out like an open hand.

A true 'show-stopper' hanging over my western skies in both Massachusetts and up to Vermont. I'd just moved up here, and Hale-Bopp followed along faithfully, perhaps an omen of encouragement? Hmmm... I'd forgotten about that - until your thread, Al!

Thank you!

Dave

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Yes remember it very well, standing outside with my, now deceased, father and staring up in wonder, a very special memory for me. 

Same here. Standing on the driveway with my dad (also now gone) just staring up at it night after night for weeks on end.

On 10/27/2017 at 16:32, ringz said:

Don't forget Comet Hyakutake which preceded Hale Bopp.

Yep it was a remarkable 12 months for naked eye comets.  I met Thomas Bopp at a lecture a year after its grand display. He did not own a telescope at the time and have borrowed a friend's as I recall when he made that incredible discovery.  It was an amazing sight with a tail that seemed to stretch across the sky. Wish I had the equipment I own now back then!

Archived