Narrowband

Skywatcher star adventurer - Upgrades has been made...

My star adventurer setup has looked like this since I got my star adventurer:
19458075_441212092912326_1028594863_n.thumb.jpg.d1f5e90f7c6cbb7257dafe1988974ee8.jpg

The tripod I used was not stable enough and I felt like it was the reason of not being able to get good enough PA. I had to sit on the ground to look through the polar scope (not that fun to do on wet grass), and when I put the wedge and camera back on the tripod after doing PA, I suspect the tripod lean back a little messing up PA.

I have just been to USA and Canada, where I bought a Manfrotto 055XPRO3 and a Manfrotto 496 RC2 ballhead. I certainly paid for it but I am very happy with my purchase. The tripod feels a lot more study and solid, and so does the ballhead. Because of the ballhead, I can also use the star adventurer without the wedge and counterweights.

Overall very happy with the look of my setup, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.
22811634_492498867783648_561055186_n.jpg?oh=29286f318de59404e10153da3bcdf1d3&oe=59F3E58E
The tripod is so solid and stable that I can extend the legs when using it (not fully though, that would be stupid), and now I only have to sit on a knee to look through the polar scope.

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

28 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its an easy fix for the polarscope, just use one of these.. A right angled camera viewfinder, I use all my mounts at the lowest height possible.

59f243b665491_Seagullrightanglefinder-7.jpg.279699ef9ff4758592d2fb4c2ebb62d1.jpg

Alan

I've seen those before but I couldn't figure out how to mount it on the polar scope?

4 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I've seen those before but I couldn't figure out how to mount it on the polar scope?

You can do a DIY job if you want but I just hold it against the polarscope, the positioning doesn't even have to be that accurate to see an image..

Alan

Wonder if in your first setup was also impacted by having the adjustable tripod head, I've removed this from my tripod, it is just something that you don't need if you have the wedge. I use the velbon d7000, and quite like the 3 'cross-bars' between the legs as I can put extra weights on these for added stability.

I use a Polemaster with my SWA and wouldn't be without it.

Can I suggest that you never extend the legs on a photographic tripod, using the polemaster I can keep my setup no higher than 12" off the ground.

1 hour ago, thomasv said:

Wonder if in your first setup was also impacted by having the adjustable tripod head, I've removed this from my tripod, it is just something that you don't need if you have the wedge. I use the velbon d7000, and quite like the 3 'cross-bars' between the legs as I can put extra weights on these for added stability.

I had a velbon videmate 638, and the head couldn't be taken off (trust me I've tried!:wink:) The legs also bent a little when you applied pressure to it.

8 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I use a Polemaster with my SWA and wouldn't be without it.

Can I suggest that you never extend the legs on a photographic tripod, using the polemaster I can keep my setup no higher than 12" off the ground.

I have heard many good things about the polemaster, but I have never figured out how it works. I know that it would be best if the legs were not extended at all, and I will probably do that in the future unless I am set up somewhere where I don't really want to sit down.

How does polemaster work? do you need a computer or any cables and such?

Hi Victor, yes you would need a computer, preferably a laptop, you would mount the camera and plug it into your laptop, point it towards North and at the correct Latitude for your location, once you see Polaris on your screen, it will actually tell you what to do at each stage, it really is foolproof and for someone like me it take the confusion out of Polar Alignment.

2 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Victor, yes you would need a computer, preferably a laptop, you would mount the camera and plug it into your laptop, point it towards North and at the correct Latitude for your location, once you see Polaris on your screen, it will actually tell you what to do at each stage, it really is foolproof and for someone like me it take the confusion out of Polar Alignment.

Thanks! I think I will wait for now because I just want my star adventurer to be as easy to pack up and down as possible. I know it would help me a lot, but I am enjoying that I don't have to use a computer, or have any cables and such.

Maybe in the future:icon_biggrin:

38 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The SA only tracks on one axis, of you aren't using the wedge what are you doing to set the latidude angle for your SA?

It's difficult to explain but Trevor from astrobackyard uses the ioptron skyguider pro, and it has the exact same features as the SA. He mounts his camera the exact same way.

Link to his post on his website:
https://astrobackyard.com/ioptron-skyguider-pro-review/ 

I know if I use a really heavy lens (which I don't have ATM) I would have to use the wedge and the counterweight.

I see from that link that they are using in fact two ball heads. One ball head being used to polar align the mount (getting the angle for the latitude) and the other being used for the camera mount as normally expected. Can't say I think that provides a quicker method, particularly if the user already owns the wedge for the Star Adventurer but I can see what you mean now. 

42 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

If you are prepared to pay the price (i was-see avatar) then this is great

http://www.365astronomy.com/Amici-Prism-for-Polarscope.html

Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but as you mention yourself the price is a downside. But thank you for the recommendation!

victor boesen

On 26/10/2017 at 23:56, Victor Boesen said:

Thanks! I think I will wait for now because I just want my star adventurer to be as easy to pack up and down as possible. I know it would help me a lot, but I am enjoying that I don't have to use a computer, or have any cables and such.

Maybe in the future:icon_biggrin:

Once polar aligned you can pack your laptop and polemaster away so you can still have an easy job packing up at the end of your session. 

Archived