Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triangulum Galaxy 10/24/2017

Hayduke27

I had a really nice evening of observing last night, found a lot of objects new to me and enjoyed some of my other favorites.  I managed to find the Triangulum Galaxy (NGC 0777), which is one of the dimmest objects I have managed to spot to date.  I observed it and the surrounding stars for about 15-20 minutes before I began sketching.  I took my time and probably sketched for about 30-45 minutes.  I started by marking the center of my drawing area with a small spot which would become the galaxy, and then made marks where all of the visible stars were.  I then went around and filled in the stars from brightest to dimmest.  Finally I used a soft pencil, a smudge stick, and my eraser to make the galaxy.  This is my first attempt at a galaxy, and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Viewing was done on a very clear, cold night with excellent viewing conditions. C8SE scope, Scientific Exploration 18mm 82* EP, no filters.  I hope you like it!

NGC 0777a.jpg

Archived