Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wheels and runner for roll off shed

iwols

Our observatory dome (built in the mid 1970's) uses a wooden track and rollerskate wheels. The track has an inner wooden lip to keep the dome centered; there are rollerskate wheels that support the weight of the dome on the track, and some that are mounted 'sideways' to roll against the raised lip. Our dome is about 12 feet across and hemispheric, and one person can rotate it easily. These wheels, as far as any of the oldest members can remember, have never had any  lubrication. The outside edge of the dome overhangs the short wall the dome rests on, and prevents them or the track from getting wet.

I used unistrut and draper 50mm wheels which fit perfect, just make sure the unistrut is the shallow version and not perforated, the wheels are around 3 quid each and fit perfect, the saying buy cheap buy twice was always in the back of my head when building but 2.5 years running now has answered that question for me....Good luck with it :thumbsup:

EDjVZy0.jpg

DHxIXp1.jpg

OuVEzat.jpg

1 hour ago, wayne11 said:

I used unistrut and draper 50mm wheels which fit perfect, just make sure the unistrut is the shallow version and not perforated, the wheels are around 3 quid each and fit perfect, the saying buy cheap buy twice was always in the back of my head when building but 2.5 years running now has answered that question for me....Good luck with it :thumbsup:

EDjVZy0.jpg

DHxIXp1.jpg

OuVEzat.jpg

thanks found and ordered  the wheels but do you have the dimensions for the unistrut please or the thickness of the wheels

2 minutes ago, Star101 said:

If you are loking for some wheels. I have 8 swivel (nylon tyres) free to a good home. Used for 3 days on my ror roof but not suitable for my design.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nylon-tyres-swivel-80mm-4-pack/90532?_requestid=47551

thanks for the great offer star101 but im going to need none swivel but thanks

I used the same roller but fixed. 

I bought the swivel ones originally because someone informed me that the fixed ones, if not aligned correctly, will make it difficult to control. However, in my design, the wheels are held between two planks of wood. The swivel wheels rotate when changing direction and were causing jams. The fixed wheels, although did need some aligning ( all of 10 mins ) Once aligned, roll off and on without any issues.

2 minutes ago, Star101 said:

I used the same roller but fixed. 

I bought the swivel ones originally because someone informed me that the fixed ones, if not aligned correctly, will make it difficult to control. However, in my design, the wheels are held between two planks of wood. The swivel wheels rotate when changing direction and were causing jams. The fixed wheels, although did need some aligning ( all of 10 mins ) Once aligned, roll off and on without any issues.

thank you

Pretty sure it was these..  i did get them from somewhere else although not sure where from now as it was a while ago, i did check to make sure they are the 3mtr delivered and not cut to a metre as well, but again this is what i needed at the time so inquire with what you want and at the same time ask for the internal dimension inside that folded lip, should me a few MM wider than the wheel..

58 minutes ago, wayne11 said:

Pretty sure it was these..  i did get them from somewhere else although not sure where from now as it was a while ago, i did check to make sure they are the 3mtr delivered and not cut to a metre as well, but again this is what i needed at the time so inquire with what you want and at the same time ask for the internal dimension inside that folded lip, should me a few MM wider than the wheel..

thanks wayne its the wheels im struggling with

Another vote for FH Brundle. V-track and wheels. They are heavyweight so you will need fewer wheels than with cheap plastic / skate wheels.

Alignment is not that hard provided the roof frame is square. Fit one wheel then use the track to align the rest on one side. Measure from each wheel to the other side to set the second set, again using the track to align them. Finally fix the tracks to support frame at one end so they pivot, using the fixed wheels to space them, then run the roof along to the other end and then mark/fix that end.

Archived