SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Rough of the Night - M31

Psychobilly

Not Really Steve only 2 targets all night 2 hours exposure over abot 3 hours on M31 and 4 hours (3 and a half useable) on the Veil Nebula - lost half an hour to the telephone and power lines into the house :D

Also made a Flats screen today Quick trip to "tescos" for some clean white cotton t shirts (2 for £3) and knocked up a frame with two layers seperated by 20mm I hang this in the obs (which being "white" upVc sort of works a bit like an integrating sphere) and take frames off it ... I have now got 50xflat frames 20x360s darks (my exposure of choice at iso 800 with the modded 350D) 45xdark flat frames and 35 bias frames all converetd into the various masters needed for stacking.

Billy...

I reckon the 360secs @ iso800 is about right for the 350D. After that the amp glow really starts to show up.

Looking at that convinces me that I HAVE to get the Field flattener, I'm hoping Steve is bringing one for me to try next week. At the moment the stars near the edge of my pics are very elongated.

Nice Piccy btw. You should notice that the modded camera will highlight a few Ha areas in the galaxy, but they are difficult to bring out with overdoing the red.

I reckon the 360secs @ iso800 is about right for the 350D. After that the amp glow really starts to show up.

Yep tahts what I have settled on as well at a push 450s isn't too bad and 600s is ok if you can loose a bit around the edges but 360s has no real issues and isn't too bad if you lose a sub...

Billy..

Hi Kev,

I think the pink glow is a result of the filter removal - I tweak the individual channels in DSS (use asinh stretching ) so taht they overlap and then make further adjustments in CS3.

Usually a quick tweak with the channel mixer to get a b lackisk background and thats it really...I tend not to do too much with curves I know I should but i dont ....yet.....

Billy...

Well you've excelled yourself with that one Billy. Lovely smooth M31 with lots of detail.

You could push it a bit more if you sorted some of those background gradients. Have a look at Rus Croman's gradient exterminator, easy to use and works very well

Well you've excelled yourself with that one Billy. Lovely smooth M31 with lots of detail.

You could push it a bit more if you sorted some of those background gradients. Have a look at Rus Croman's gradient exterminator, easy to use and works very well

Yep got it and tried to use it did the multi stage approach but still not as good as I would like it....as I said somewhere else need to get real flats sorted :smiley:

Archived