Narrowband

underwhelming observing

I would suggest that Astobaby's collimation guide might be worth a read.  Maybe also, try Saturn without the Barlow and just the 6mm  EP.  I own a 8" F6 Reflector and in the UK I couldn't push it to 3mm (your 6mm plus Barlow).  I struggle to get down to 4mm and seem happiest at about 7-8mm 150-170x magnification.  At that sort of magnification I cannot see the gap in between the two rings that John's picture shows, but I am aware of a gap between the ring system and the planet - what I see is close to that picture, but I don't have the same level of detail and don't expect to get it here.  I would also guess in Egypt that you might get a fair amount of heat problems too which might affect how steady the atmosphere is.  To be honest although I'm only a novice I wonder if you are pushing it a bit too much.  Back off to 8-10mm and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the assumption that the sky is dark enough to see Saturn by about 630pm it will be very low in the sky by then in Egypt.

It is most likely to be this combined with heat haze from buildings that is the problem. Could be pollination too as a contributory factor.

17 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Could be pollination too as a contributory factor.

Clearly too many bees obscuring the view!

Mind you I must say that collimating my telescope did seem to improve my clarity of view - it's held well since then.

Hi from land down under

I use a 1.25 Saxon laser collimator on lowest power setting

Adjust secondary mirror fist, so that pointer is on the dot centre of the primary mirror

Do not loosen centre screw of secondary mirror as whole assembly can twist

Slightly loosen securing nuts bottom of primary, and then adjust primary so that have no image target of collimator

Gently tighten securing screws ensuring primary does not drift out of alignment

Takes only 2 or 3 minutes to do

Cheers

John

Archived