SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C30

Piero

I was observing this target with the Tak + zoom until 10 minutes ago (clouds came in!). The zoom was really helpful in order to achieve the right magnification /  background illumination. Somehow, the view reminded me of M81. The structure appeared elongated, a bit like a oval, with direct vision. It seems an interesting target even for moderate apertures like this 100mm refractor and it is well placed at the moment. 

From Wikipedia, I was surprised to read that it was called the Milky Way's twin although recent studies showed that the Milky way is barred whereas C30 is not. Another curious fact is that the bulge in NGC 7331 rotates in the opposite direction to the rest of the disk, in contrast to most spiral galaxies. Next to C30 (~40mly) there are many small and distant (>300mly) galaxies and of course the famous Stephan's Quintet. 

Great observing Piero!

NGC 7331 is a goto of mine and is most always observed as the sky tour begins. Stephans Quintet will be in the same FOV as this bright galaxy but might be pretty small to see in the frac. Crank up the mag, use the hood and go into the thousand yard stare to see if you can pull the 3 cores out!

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great observing Piero!

NGC 7331 is a goto of mine and is most always observed as the sky tour begins. Stephans Quintet will be in the same FOV as this bright galaxy but might be pretty small to see in the frac. Crank up the mag, use the hood and go into the thousand yard stare to see if you can pull the 3 cores out!

Thanks Gerry. :)

I was using the Russian monk's hood and find it really help full. The zoom was working with an exit pupil between roughly 1.3mm  and 0.9mm. For C30 and 100mm aperture, this exit pupil range seemed ideal. Unfortunately the clouds kicked in before I could properly adapt my eye and see whether some faint light was visible from the brightest of the Quintet. Possibly nothing would have come up, but it's still worth a try.

I had a look at C30 tonight, after failing to view comet  2017 01 again.  Only at low power x25 but it showed up quite well as a non stellar patch.  In a large scope the Deer Lick Group and Quintet must be a fine sight, filling the field of view.  

andrew

I had a look last night as well, I think for the first time. What a superb galaxy, with a lot of visual detail (Mak 180 @ x90) including a dark lane. I could just make out some of the surrounding galaxies, but unfortunately dew set in and I gave up..

Chris

22 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I had a look last night as well, I think for the first time. What a superb galaxy, with a lot of visual detail (Mak 180 @ x90) including a dark lane. I could just make out some of the surrounding galaxies, but unfortunately dew set in and I gave up..

Chris

I feel that those surrounding galaxies might pop up with your aperture at high power. :) 

Brilliant stuff Piero NGC 7331 is a favourite of mine and viewed on numerous occasions.

I refer to it as the gateway to Stephans quintet (Hickson 92) which is a challenge although shows really well under a dark unpolluted sky.

Archived