Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable AP system?

Hi,

after a fair bit of reading and asking questions, I'm thinking about a portable imaging system. Caveats - I'm soooo over collimating stuff, cheap newts are nice, but I've found even the slightest movement requires re collimating to get sharp stars to the edge of my KAF8300 (Quattro cf 8", 130PDS), so I doubt a mirrored scope will be trouble free.

I need a relatively light weight system - I've just had to sell a truly superb example of an AZEQGT mount because after an attack of arthritis I was unable to lift it without significant discomfort - ravages of age I guess :-(

So how about an HEQ5 with Rowan mod, combined with an Esprit 100m?

reasonable combination? Will also use the scope as a widefield on my obs mounted Mesu 200, alongside my C11.

cheers

Gary

I recently purchased a belt modded heq5 from RVO. I've got it on a 2"CG5 tripod with an Orion 16" pier extension. Currently has an ST120 mounted and I can lift the whole lot if needs be, although I wouldn't carry it far. Certainly without OTA and weights it's quite manageable.

Coincidentally an Esprit 100 is on my shopping list, I think it will be a perfect fit for the HEQ5.

20170921_183511.jpg

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't thought about a pier extension, but it looks like a great addition and I will add one to my shopping list. I am picking up the HEQ5 tomorrow, and have ordered the Rowan kit. The Espirit will have to wait a week or so... Looking forward to having something I am able to carry to a dark sky site again...

cheers

Gary

Archived