Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fighting the moon to shoot the Veil Complex

SteveL

Conditions were pretty dire last night.... sure it was dry and calm, but that big bright moon lit of the hazy skies like it was on fire :D ... but it was a clear sky! I`d nearly forgotten what they looked like. I also had a few "issues" that made me lose 2 hours of imaging time. Grrr!!!

I`ve been after the Veil complex since the end of last year, but weather and other things prevented me from being in the right place at the right time. The only tool that was right for the job was the NS8GPS+Hyperstar, which hasnt seen a night sky since April. It was great to get the beast out again, quick and easy polar alignment, and no issues about meridian flips.

Considering the state of the sky, I`m happy I managed to get anything out of my subs at all. I was fighting some horrid gradients, and the noise in the stacked image started to show very early in the processing.

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 13nm Ha

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

20080918_veil_complex_ha_small.jpg

At last you got something Steve! Also, that shows the FOV you can get with the hyperstar off to a treat.

Can only drool about what that image might look like in colour!

Question though, is each white point a light source, ie star. or is some of it just noise? I can never tell?

TJ

Archived