Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horizon 8115 heavy duty tripod

I have a good pair of 10 X 50 binoculars  and I am thinking of buying the Horizon 8115 heavy duty tripod to support them for astronomy. Trying to handhold them for stargazing is pretty impossible as the stars are dancing all over the place.! I have a tripod adaptor that came with the binoculars.

I see that on the specifications for the tripod is that the vertical adjustment only reaches + 60 degrees. Does this mean that you can,t look at objects directly overhead.?  Also many, many years ago I tried to mount a pair of cheap binoculars ( fortunately) on a tripod and they fell off with devastating consequences.  Will my binoculars be secure on this tripod.?

Any comments or advice will be most welcome.

Thanks

ChrisP

I have this tripod. Your bins will be secure no doubt. As far as vertical adjustment goes, the tripod mount will go vertical but your neck probably won't. This is a very sturdy tripod, I have mounted my Helios 15 x 70 on it easily but now have built a parallelogram mount that I can use in a chair for comfortable viewing in more severe vertical situations.  I found it very uncomfortable viewing vertically with just the regular tripod and you will get severe neck ache if trying to view at higher angles. You might consider using a reclining chair with a lighter weight tripod or monopod that will still support and hold your 10 x 50 bins fairly easily and steadily and that you can rest on your chest when reclining giving more flexibility than the heavy horizon.

See http://binocularsky.com/ for alternative ways to mount you bins. Hope that helps.

enjoy the views.

Steve

This would be fine with 10x50s. I've got one although it's on loan to my dad so I don't have it to hand.

I'm sure you could look up past 60 degrees. Consider if your bins were pointing 90 degrees straight down, if you just spin your bins around they are pointing straight up.

I think your neck will be the limiting factor for observing high targets!

At high altitudes the bins move out of balance and need the tensioners to hold them, but 10x50s are light enough for this not to be a big problem on this mount.

You can fully tension-lock it whenever you want so as not to risk your bins falling.

I've read about others using the following for binoculars instead of the 8115:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LQX0P8Q

There's also the same setup sold under the name Ravelli APGL4. I believe they are the same thing....but the Amazon basic one is cheaper.

I don't have one so I can't give you first hand experience, but just thought I'd mention in case you want to look into it, because it's a bit cheaper.

I'm sure there is a post somewhere comparing the 8115 and APGL4.

10x50 bins are pretty standard for astronomy. The 8115 tripod is great in itself and will easily take any 10x50 bins. As you say though............the reach towards zenith (directly above) is limited. I have the same horizon 8115 and a very quick and easy fix that allows you to view directly 90 degrees above is to un-screw the pan/tilt handle closest to you and attach it on the end further away from you.

That will give you views up directly 90 degrees.

6 hours ago, davyludo said:

I've read about others using the following for binoculars instead of the 8115:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LQX0P8Q

There's also the same setup sold under the name Ravelli APGL4. I believe they are the same thing....but the Amazon basic one is cheaper.

I don't have one so I can't give you first hand experience, but just thought I'd mention in case you want to look into it, because it's a bit cheaper.

I'm sure there is a post somewhere comparing the 8115 and APGL4.

The joystick/pistol grip/trigger/ball head that is included with this offer makes it well worth buying. I personally find them better than any other type of alt/az or ball mount for attaching binoculars to tripod that I have used in the past. SGL'er@BinocularSky:bino2:has a written/posted a link to a set of instructions for it too. :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advice and comments about the Horizon 8115  tripod.

Does the tripod come with written instructions on how to assemble it and connect it to the binoculars.? I have the L shaped adaptor for connecting it to the binoculars.

Thanks

Chris

It probably has a quick release camera mounting plate cammed in by a lever.  Remove it, thread the mounting screw into the bottom of the L bracket, tighten it down in the orientation your want, reinsert the mounting plate back into the tripod head, and then cam it down tight.  It's up to you if you prefer the binos attached to the L bracket before or after reinserting the plate in the tripod head.  The tripod screw on the binos may be hidden behind a removeable cover on the front of the flex joint between the optics barrels.

Archived