Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for good variable star book

After @Mr Spock's talk at SGL17, I'm looking for a good book/online chart with a list of variable stars, sky maps and a space to log my observations. I'm not too interested in terms of the science behind variable stars, just observing them. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of places to get charts:

http://www.britastro.org/vss/    - All current BAA Variable Star Charts plus lots of other resources. Many are free but for some you have to be a member.

https://www.aavso.org/apps/vsp/    - AAVSO Variable Star Chart Plotter. The main site also has lots of other resources.

Also attached is an excel spreadsheet I use to record observations. I've left some data in so you can see how it works. Enter data in the blue areas and it will populate the rest. The area on the right is laid out in the same format as the BAA VSS submission spreadsheet so you can copy and paste observations straight into their spreadsheet (should you wish to join).

Observations Blank.xlsx

3 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Currently about 20. In my prime, back in the '90s, it was 120+ per night - well over 3000 observations per year :ohmy:

120 it is then. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 20:57, JoeP said:

After @Mr Spock's talk at SGL17, I'm looking for a good book/online chart with a list of variable stars, sky maps and a space to log my observations. I'm not too interested in terms of the science behind variable stars, just observing them. Any suggestions?

I am bit late to this post. I would recommend any of these two, according to your wish of the book focusing only on the observational part:

• David Levy. Observing variable stars. A guide for the beginner.
  • Gerry Good. Observing variable stars.

In particular, David Levy's book can be found cheap used, specially the old version from 1989.

The AAVSO's visual observing manual is also a good starting point.

There was a discussion a while ago about books on variable stars over at CN. You might want to have a look there.

Good luck!

Archived