Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST 40 or Lunt 50, Help !!

pluton

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Thats what i was wondering. On the Suns surface its second by second........its an 8 min delay to us here on Earth, but second by second in our real time.

Im very excited about solar observing in Ha. 

Yes, that's right.

Don't expect the movement to be in your face, unless there is a fairly dramatic event, but it is certainly there to be seen.

• Like 1

Ive loved W/L observing for a couple of years now but its quite static. Im sure Ha will be a bit more dynamic.

Will my variable solar polarizing filter or contnuum filter come in to play at any stage, or are they just W/L filters.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Congratulations on the Quark Paul. I went the Lunt route. There are advantages and disadvantages to both choices - where the Quark really shines is its flexibility - so you can use it with almost any refractor, and get incredibly detailed views. A double stacked Lunt 80 is over £6k - while an 80mm achromat and a Quark is well under a quarter of that. It should be great with your scope too. Look forward to reading your impressions - roll on spring! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive loved W/L observing for a couple of years now but its quite static. Im sure Ha will be a bit more dynamic.

Will my variable solar polarizing filter or contnuum filter come in to play at any stage, or are they just W/L filters.

Paul, Ha is more dynamic and you get that kaleidoscope effect that pops into view after a short time.... the polarising filter can enhance the granulation ..... it’s similar to the effect of thin cloud passing the sun, I often use my polarising filter for this very reason. I have not tried the continuum on Ha ?

3 minutes ago, Pig said:

I would expect Continuum plus Ha to equal black! Continuum is green, Ha red.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

If you eventually use a larger refractor (>100mm) , then with the Quark you may need an ERF (energy rejection filter) - a good UV-IR filter as a basic option.

Ken this must have changed since I purchased my Quark, Daystars literature used to say greater than 115mm  before and ERF is required.  I have not had to use one with my 110mm and to make doubley sure I asked Daystar this very question before purchasing ?

Thanks all for your quick,honest,experienced advice about observing/imaging in Ha. I was going to hold off til Spring, but why wait?. There is plenty of winter sunshine to take advantage of.

I said last year that Ha was something i wanted to explore and ive took the first step.

The Quark promises a full disc on refracs up to FL of 450mm. I think mine is 650mm, so probably not a full disc view. I guess that depends on the magnification i use?. For observing purposes its not an issue, i can increase mag on any area. For imaging proms, i guess its not an issue either because i can zero in on a prom to image it?. I might have to read up on creating mosaic images.

• Like 1

Silly as it sounds, the Sun is not the easiest thing to find with a telescope. Up til now i have relied on the shadow method but i want to be more accurate and less time consuming. 

Would this work on my Travelscope?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-accessories/tele-vue-sol-searcher-for-lunt-solar-telescopes.html

Can it be put in place instead of the typical RDF?.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Congratulations Paul. 

I’m not sure about your ‘first step’. A ‘great big jump’ more like. You’ll love it!

re. Finding the sun.

I have a 6” long chunk of standard copper pipe (normal home water pipes) held onto the scope on the tube rings with an elastic band. Point at sun. Pop hand behind the pipe. When the shadow of the pipe forms a perfect circle. It is straight. Simples!

I’ll post a pic on Thursday. There is no need to spend money. Solar viewing is quite expensive enough already.

Paul

• Like 1

My Quark should be here in a couple of days. I see now on the invoice that they say its designed for F/4-F/9 refractors. My Travelscope of f5.7........so no worries there. 

The invoice says that an energy rejection filter is recommended.

In my mind (already owning a Hershel Wedge), heat rejection=heat dump.

What is a heat rejection filter, how much are they, and do i need one?

Im thinking NO. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

On 1/25/2018 at 10:16, Alan White said:

Only just seen this thread Paul, wow, a Quark, nice purchase.
Hope you enjoy it, I look forward to your postings once it arrives.
Something on my much desired list at present.

I have decided to concentrate on solar, so wanted more than just a white light set up. 

• Like 1

I should expand on my above comment. I wont simply be doing solar observing. I'll always observe at night also. I just dont find the time or desire much lately to go out at night. The rubbish weather doesnt help. 

So, seen as Spring and Summer are around the corner, there hopefully will be plenty of clear days (ok, stop laughing at my glass half full mentality). Ive wanted to try Ha observing for about a year now, but its expensive and i didnt want to commit such a large chunk of money on observing 1 object. Now, im of the frame of mind that it will have a much higher yield of observing sessions than i get out of my nocturnal gear.

It also fits in better with my new timetable. Im visiting hospital 3 days a week and its a full day each time. When i get home its like 7-8pm and i just cant be bothered. Usually fall asleep in front of the tv by 10pm anyway.

Solar observing on the days i am at home fits my timetable much better.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My refrac is 70mm (f5).

So, with 70 mm, i should be good to go with optical train as above. No need for an ERF,UV/IR filter.

Paul,  you need a UVIR filter with a Quark and it screws into you filter thread on the diagonal barrel. Ie the end of the diagonal that goes into the focusser. An ERF filter is completely different application to a UVIR filter and covers the objective of your scope.

For your scope you only need the UVIR blocking filter to fit onto your diagonal, either 1.25 or 2” depending on the size of your diagonal. (The Quark fits both the 1.25” & 2” diagonals)

So = Eye>EP>Quark>Diagonal>UVIR>Scope.

Edited by Pig

37 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Pig,

Sorry to correct you.....

http://www.daystarfilters.com/inout_article_base/index.php?page=view/article/26/Energy-Rejection-for-QUARK---UVIR-or-Front-mount

It appears NO addition energy rejection is necessary with apertures less than 80mm

I am not so sure having read the content, it does say if a diagonal is used a UVIR is required..... for the sake of £50 I would not risk ruining my oberving equipment, including my eyes