Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST 40 or Lunt 50, Help !!

pluton

Good morning,
I would like to consult you the following subject: I would like to start in the solar observation H alpha, and I am not very clear which telescope I can be better, if the PST 40 or the Lunt 50 B600, I would use it for visual observation.
I currently do not have a refractor telescope, so I do not wanna ask for the Daystar chromosphere model.
Is there a difference between the two models?
Any clear advantage over each other?
Nor do I consider the higher models, such as the Lunt 60 B600 or the Coronado Maxscope..60, I do not know very well whether at the visual level would be a clear advantage over the above mentioned, but in money!
Thank you very much for your opinions.
Best regards
Paul

The Lunt 50 will out-perform the PST, if only because of the larger aperture. I’m pretty sure the PST has a 5mm blocking filter so the Lunt with a BF600 will again be superior to the PST.

I don’t know where you’re based but in the UK the price difference will be in the order of £400. You will have to decide whether your budget will cover that and whether the extra outlay is worth it for you.

Hope that helps, even a little. ?

• Like 2

Pluton,

What is your budget?

Best bargain at the moment is this 2nd hand LS60 (much better than either LS50 or PST!)

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=130323

- this is a good deal for someone!

- assume you are in the UK?

Otherwise, look out for a good 2nd hand Lunt, you do find the occasional good deal but most people still ask too much for a LS60 tilt tuned unfortunately. There are good savings to be made 2nd hand especially now the sun is dropping in the sky and daylight hours are reducing...

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 2

In my PST SS  there is not much of a difference when compared to Lunt 50 SS. Aditional DS unit shows much better overall contrast ever when compared with Lunt 60 SS. Lunt 80 SS can show noticable overall bright and large image of the Sun..it is 80mm vs 40 in PST. ;) But when you compare prices, there is a big diference. I sugest that you visit local astronomy club or astro-shop and compare images in person.

Clear Skies!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 22:41, pluton said:

Good morning,
I would like to consult you the following subject: I would like to start in the solar observation H alpha, and I am not very clear which telescope I can be better, if the PST 40 or the Lunt 50 B600, I would use it for visual observation.
I currently do not have a refractor telescope, so I do not wanna ask for the Daystar chromosphere model.
Is there a difference between the two models?
Any clear advantage over each other?
Nor do I consider the higher models, such as the Lunt 60 B600 or the Coronado Maxscope..60, I do not know very well whether at the visual level would be a clear advantage over the above mentioned, but in money!
Thank you very much for your opinions.
Best regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I see it was the 20th Oct when you posted. I wonder if you have made a decision ?

I agree with the recommendations of the other responders. As I was in the same situation as you back in September ... which way do I go, PST or LUNT ?

I finally decided on the LUNT and purchased the 60THA with a B1200 (12mm) blocking filter.  I initially tried it with the B600 (6mm) and was a little disappointed

with the view ( small image size). The shop has a B1200 sitting on the shelf and so we tried that and it was a doubling in size of the solar disk image .... so much easier on the eyes !!

There isn't going to be a lot of difference between the 50mm and 60mm aperture of the scope, so if you cannot afford the 60, then go with the 50mm.

But the Blocking filter size IS going to make a huge difference visually and I would highly recommend it to you

I also bought the Lunt 7 - 21.5mm zoom eyepiece, and in hindsight, that was a wise decision at the time, instead of just using one of my fixed focal length

eyepieces I already had at home.

Regards

Dave

I went for an offer on a Lunt 50mm - very pleased with it, and now run it double stacked.

A 60mm would be lovely, but it costs significantly more to preserve that aperture if double stacking.  The 60mm seems to be more conducive to binoviewing, if you are thinking along these lines.  I once viewed through a double stacked 60mm with binoviewers, and it was jaw dropping amazing.  I might try an option from Siebert to BV with the LS50.  I also quite like the Lunt pressure tuning system - I find it works really well.

The stock focuser is not great on the 50mm, but one can defer upgrading until funds allow at a later date.  Even at the relatively low mags I use with the LS50, the fine focus on the Moonlight I upgraded to is really, really nice to have!

PS I went for the BF600 option for visual with my LS50THa.

Edited by niallk

I'd recommend starting with a secondhand PST for around 400 to £450 .... then if you wish to DS (later) you can add a secondhand 

SM40 filter for around £400 , I've owned a dozen PSTs and they really are great wee scopes , still the most portable to this 

day with the built in solar finder , and they generally will display more detail SS than a Lunt , having said that the LS50 is 

a great wee package and much better imho than the cumbersome LS60 , perhaps see if your able to try them  first.

PS ... don't be in a rush to DS , best to make sure your fully conversant with your SS scope first which will take at least 6 months 

of Sun ☀️ 

Brian 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 05:04, Davenn said:

Hi Paul

I see it was the 20th Oct when you posted. I wonder if you have made a decision ?

I agree with the recommendations of the other responders. As I was in the same situation as you back in September ... which way do I go, PST or LUNT ?

I finally decided on the LUNT and purchased the 60THA with a B1200 (12mm) blocking filter.  I initially tried it with the B600 (6mm) and was a little disappointed

with the view ( small image size). The shop has a B1200 sitting on the shelf and so we tried that and it was a doubling in size of the solar disk image .... so much easier on the eyes !!

There isn't going to be a lot of difference between the 50mm and 60mm aperture of the scope, so if you cannot afford the 60, then go with the 50mm.

But the Blocking filter size IS going to make a huge difference visually and I would highly recommend it to you

I also bought the Lunt 7 - 21.5mm zoom eyepiece, and in hindsight, that was a wise decision at the time, instead of just using one of my fixed focal length

eyepieces I already had at home.

Regards

Dave

Just to be clear, the blocking filter size does not change the magnification of the telescope. It affects the field of view. Larger blocking filters show more sky around the solar disc and are useful for imaging and binoviewers. But agree that wider blocking filters do make observing more comfortable. I used to have a 4cm bf and ergonomically it wasn't the easiest set up for long observing sessions

• Like 3

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 05:00, Highburymark said:
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:04, Davenn said:

Just to be clear, the blocking filter size does not change the magnification of the telescope. It affects the field of view.

yes, exactly :)

Hi, i have a PST for aboud nine months. A nice small scope!  It give nice contrastly and clear fews and decent manification for it size. I looking forward  to double stack the thing.  Do someone who have the double stack can sure me if it is worth? Can you see also the so called  " surface grandulation" better when stacked?  Will  i not Be dissepoitnted ? ( can you see full disk?  Will the fews not to dark?).  Thanks!  ( i know it add also a 3D effect. Witch is a nice bonus if the stack works Okey  at last)

Edited by andre2

Hi, may i say a last thing to share with you: i discover that almost every thing that has to do with solarscopes is addicting: The small scopes, the big scopes, the medium scopes, the pressure tuners, tilt tuners , double stack filters  even the handy build in sol Finder of the pst is sometimes adicting.- i think i will end up with the double stack becource i Will just want to see more surface detail, the biggest " coin" of the pst is i think the small blocking filter, but its Okey.i hope that the double stack is still bright enough ( i  hope about 60 percent of THE brightness of the singlestack, thus 40 percent less bright )  i have heard that it also Will make the space arround the disk darker witch i hope it Will let the sun looks better execpt the promences. Thanks! 

Edited by andre2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, niallk said:

Well the good news is that a Ha setup can certainly take advantage of an open ended budget - no problem there!! ;)

I've read that PST can have issues with lens. Lunt, do you get a mount and tripod?. Quark I have heard only great things, but would my 70mm travels cope be suitable?. My Hershel wedge works great with the 70mm travelscope. 

I can only speak for the Lunt: nope, I also had to budget for a dovetail, a sol finder, and mount (SW Az5). I also had to purchase a case. I'm finding that plossls are good with my 50mm, even a very cheap 9mm (~€20) gives very nice views.  Fwiw I really love my LS50.

There are some well known common problems with each of the three options you mentioned- you've probably seen posts reporting on them all.

There were a couple of great second hand options here on SGL during the year - including a 60mm: none within Ireland as far as I'm aware, and I was trawling donedeal and adverts.ie.  I saw one PST pop up in IRL last year, I pounced but never got a response from the seller...

Yes, given that you already have a frac, it would be good to find out how compatible it would be for visual with a Quark - unless thinking of imaging?  They certainly are used to amazing effect by some of the imagers here!  Given that I had dobs, I went for the Lunt.

• Like 1

I've recently become an Lunt LS50 (single stack) owner. You don't get a mount as standard - just a tube ring that does have a photo tripod screw hole threaded in the flat spot on the bottom.

I've only used mine a couple of times so far but I've been impressed with what it does.

One of the challenges is that you get lots of feedback how wonderful double stacking is with these scopes and that of course adds over £1K to the price of the setup !

I'm sticking to the single stack unit until I'm really confident of my interest in Ha solar is deep enough to justify the further investment.

• Like 2

Open ended budget????? 

I’m was a happy PSTer. They do have a tendency to grow a layer of something over the ITF. It is fairly easily sorted though.

Then I became a delighted PST plus Double Stack owner. Masses of detail that outstripped the Lunt 50 SS.

Then I was so happy that I chopped the PST and a perfectly good Bresser 100mm frack in half, stuck them together and can view outrageous proms!???

I haven’t seen a quark used in a scope like yours.

Paul

• Like 1

On 26/12/2017 at 21:54, LukeSkywatcher said:

I've read that PST can have issues with lens. Lunt, do you get a mount and tripod?. Quark I have heard only great things, but would my 70mm travels cope be suitable?. My Hershel wedge works great with the 70mm travelscope. 

Paul the Quark will work fine with your 70mm travel scope and you may even get a full solar disc ?I use mine with a 110mm & a 60mm. My Esprit 80mm gave 99% of the disc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pig said:

Paul the Quark will work fine with your 70mm travel scope and you may even get a full solar disc ?I use mine with a 110mm & a 60mm. My Esprit 80mm gave 99% of the disc.

Good to hear this. TBH, my head and heart were/are leaning towards the Quark. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...