Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new astrophotography camera required

philip57

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a camera to replace my modded canon 450d, which has had a problem with the mini usb port and is not replaceable as the parts not available from canon as this camera is not supported now.
I do astrophotography and would prefer a reasonable but not over the top price dlsr camera that will only be only used for astrophotography. I would prefer a canon model.
thanks
Philip

thanks for the replies. Has anyone used a cooled osc camera. I am looking at the ZWO ASI174MC usb3 cooled colour cmos camera. i have never used anything apart from dslr cameras. I presume you use software to download images as usual and stack/process with software. Is there any specific software to control these cameras. i have used BYEOS for my old Canon 450d.
Modify message

Oh Philip, you've started something now!!

Lots of people, including myself have used or use cooled OSC cameras.  Cooled astro cameras are entirely reliant on a linked computer for their operation.  There are numerous programmes around.  Some manufacturers include their own camera control software, Atik's Artemis capture software being particularly useful.  Most people end up buying a software package, Sequence Generator Pro is a particularly popular choice at the moment.  It is reasonably priced at around $100 and easy to use but with a multitude of powerful features.

Cooling reduces dark current noise and also helps when removing dark current noise because you can use calibration frames or hot pixel maps taken at the same temperature.

OSC vs mono is a discussion which has produced many a very long thread on SGL!

i think i have decided on the ASI600MM-cool and control  using sequence generator pro. However this camera is not cheap and i will need other bits but it should last me many years. I was initially looking for the  simplicity and the cheaper asi600MM. However the idea of better images is steering me to the more expensive option. How much more equipment would i need to use this with my telescopes. I have skywatchered80 and celestron9.25. I also have nebulosity and PHD2 for guiding.

thanks for your help

PS to MartinB is that Chesterfield , England or US  . i am chesterfield Derbyshire at a place in Hady.

• 5 weeks later...

Can I suggest this company: -

www.cpes-europe.co.uk

Unit 87, Bedford Street, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 4PZ

Tel/Fax:  01782 261286
EMAIL: service@cpes-europe.co.uk

I damaged my D800 and I dropped it off and two hours later collected it.

They repair most makes including Canon and am fairly sure they could do this for you, nice people to do business with as well and not expensive.

On 20/10/2017 at 19:25, philip57 said:

How much more equipment would i need to use this with my telescopes

I see in this thread you've made the journey from DSLR to dedicated OSC to dedicated mono! As the 600MM is a mono camera, you'll need a filter wheel + filters if you wish to produce full colour or colour narrow-band images. Your ED80 is going to be better/easier for DSO imaging (do you have the reducer?) - you may need some spacers to get the correct spacing. Other than that, I can't think of much else you'll need to get going.

12 minutes ago, Shibby said:

I can't think of much else you'll need to get going.

I found that the standard focuser  (with cheapo motorised conctrol) on my ED80 is not strong enough to stay in the desired focus position when there is a lot of weight hanging off the back.

It's OK with a DSLR and FR just screwed on to it. But a 700gm OSC cooled camera + extension rings was too much for it. You could probably tighten down the focuser so it doesn't move, but then you have the issue of how to refocus every time you change filters (even the ones that do claim to be parfocal).

Archived