SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Next clear night...

Next clear night I will have to use my obsy for some review equipment, but I have a particular hankering to observe the cocoon nebula through my 18" dob, preferably at a dark site.

Also spotted in my sky atlas that there is a pair of planetaries very close together, in Cygnus I think, so fancy having a pop at those too.

If you get a chance, take a gander at NGC 7789. Commonly known as Caroline's Haystack, or Rose, it is a very pretty cluster with unusual dark patches giving the impression of a rose flower. Found by Caroline Herschel I believe. It is well placed at the moment and easy to find, near to Caph in Cass.

Also worth a look is Mirach's ghost. Mirach itself is a beautiful golden star, when you find it, examine the area immediately around it and see if you can find the "ghost".

Tim

13 minutes ago, Tim said:

Next clear night I will have to use my obsy for some review equipment, but I have a particular hankering to observe the cocoon nebula through my 18" dob, preferably at a dark site.

Also spotted in my sky atlas that there is a pair of planetaries very close together, in Cygnus I think, so fancy having a pop at those too.

If you get a chance, take a gander at NGC 7789. Commonly known as Caroline's Haystack, or Rose, it is a very pretty cluster with unusual dark patches giving the impression of a rose flower. Found by Caroline Herschel I believe. It is well placed at the moment and easy to find, near to Caph in Cass.

Also worth a look is Mirach's ghost. Mirach itself is a beautiful golden star, when you find it, examine the area immediately around it and see if you can find the "ghost".

Tim

Saw Carolines Rose at Lucksall SGL on Sunday night. Spectacular, definitely saw the dark lanes in my 8 inch revelation dob. Awesome. Certainly one to take a look at.

M57 has been a great target for me lately, and I tend to check it out each time I set up.  I love the suggestions.  I am still hoping to find the Blue Snowball Nebula, and I am hoping for a look at M81 and M82.  Also going to try to find the Rosette Nebula and would love to sneak a peek at the Cave Nebula.

3 hours ago, John said:

For me, it's the next clear day that I'm waiting for. I've just taken delivery of a Lunt LS50 :grin:

Well done John, welcome to the world of HA...........as to the next clear night....starting to wonder if there ever will be one

Archived