Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Three of my favorites and two fingers to Ophelia

Allinthehead

Hi everyone.

As i'm sure you're aware we got absolutely battered by storm Ophelia on Monday. It was pretty brutal to be honest leaving a trail of carnage across the south of the country. Luckily everyone i know stayed safe and thanks to a combination of Irish, British, and French electricians we got power back here yesterday evening.

When the storm past, it brought clear sky, albeit with a bit of a haze. I had fully charged batteries so i thought i would take full advantage of the power cut. With the garden in a heap, and all the wooden panel divides that usually provide a great barrier against the wind missing, i put the Samyang and A7s to work and captured 1.5 hrs in 30 second subs. 

Iso 3200

Processed using the llrgb method in PI and PS

Stacked in Dss.

The day after. Luckily the only damage we had here was to the fence.

20171019_090128.thumb.jpg.d7c1909c04953069ec4c35b00bbef7ac.jpg

This poor guy wasn't as lucky.

20171017_093456.thumb.jpg.c21c036914e1d01f087b2d72799e765f.jpg

59e9182717121_califpleeaidescopy44.thumb.jpg.464e77e2443504c769e64de338428498.jpg

7 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I watched a 5 day satellite weather video of ophelia moving in and the way the gulf stream sucked it fast straight up to Ireland once it grabbed hold was quite shocking.

I watched something like that too, a mad cocktail of coincidence sent it our way. 150 kmph winds around the corner from us had me worried about the windows at one stage.

9 hours ago, MikeODay said:

Great image from your ‘dark sky site’.

I’m glad you got through with only minor damage - it looks like it was pretty bad!

Thanks Mike. It was hairy at times. 

3 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

A few fence panels is a lucky escape.

A7 certainly takes very nice short subs. :icon_salut:

Thanks, more came down in last nights storm. To be honest they are due replacing so this will give us the kick we needed to sort it. My mount has lost its wind breaker, and the dog keeps going into the neighbors.  

I really like these wide-field shots where you see so many familiar objects in one picture - I particularly like the California Nebula and it looks great here.

Well done!

David

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Cracking image, and I'm glad you and yours are all ok.

Thanks John.

6 minutes ago, David_L said:

I really like these wide-field shots where you see so many familiar objects in one picture - I particularly like the California Nebula and it looks great here.

Well done!

David

Thanks David. Me too. I did a bit of target hopping as i wasn't sure if i was going for the right target so i'm kinda regretting not spending more time on this.

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why can't we have a lights out night once a month?

Thanks Neil.

Now there's an idea. It's a pity it wouldn't fly with the non astro community. Maybe a dimming of the lights after a certain hour? I propose midnight on a weekday and 02:00 at the weekend.

Archived