Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Zealand Astronomy

groberts

I'm going to NZ later in the year to visit my daughter who is currently working there.  I will be based in Ohaupo, located between Te Awanatu and Hamilton on North Island + spending some time on South Island. 

Can anybody recommend any astronomical places, clubs, things to do whilst there + any contacts? 

Thanks, Graham

We're off to NZ next week for a holiday. 

While there we are going to try Big Sky Start gazing on Mount Cook

No idea how this will turn out and, only being there for one night, the chances of a clear skies are not great, but will report on return.  

I was in New Zealand in February on a walking tour, it’s a great place so hope you have a great time Graham. The only place I used my little frac was in Punakaiki on the west coast of the South Island and the skies were great. Saw the Large Magellanic Cloud for the first time plus other stuff.

Hope you have a good time to @almcl. We also stayed at the Hermitage near Mount Cook one night and went on the star gazing trip. They take you out to the local small airport and the horizons all around are fantastic so you get a great view. The night we went wasn’t very clear and the moon was up so not the best night for it, but well worth going anyway. The local astronomer was very helpful and knowledgeable. They had about 4 scopes set up to view through. From memory I think there was a C14, C11 and a couple of very nice fracs.

Archived