Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bodmin Moor - new Dark Sky area!

Pugwash

Hi all, just joined and about to buy first telescope, most likely a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P plus extra planetary eyepiece. Very fortunate to live on edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall which has just achieved Dark Sky status, so looking forward, and hopefully upward, very soon. Where's my Towel? 149,999 to go!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Pugwash and welcome.

Bodmin Moor, nice location, nice county. 
I invade each summer for a fortnight as many do, spend rest of year scheming how to live there.

Nice dark sky indeed, lucky you.
I have to deal with 30 miles from London and general suburbia light pollution.

Enjoy the forum, ask questions as you need, none of them will be silly to ask.
Friendly place SGL, but its good to join in rather than sit on the sidelines.

Alan

10 hours ago, Pugwash said:

Hi all, just joined and about to buy first telescope, most likely a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P plus extra planetary eyepiece. Very fortunate to live on edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall which has just achieved Dark Sky status, so looking forward, and hopefully upward, very soon. Where's my Towel? 149,999 to go!

Welcome from land down under, where have vast areas of clear skies

Been wet and overcast the last week, and first cloud cover since Cyclone Debbie back in March

Before rushing out and buying a scope, rock up to your local astronomy club, and club members only too happy to show you their equipment

If you also intend to delve into AP further down the track, if so then Skyhawk might not support camera set-up

Cheers

John

Thanks everyone for the welcoming comments. With the current weather outside, I don't quite understand why I have just this past few minutes ordered my telescope - still stuck with the Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P but have added 6mm Celestron Omni Plossl, which with the included 2x Barlow, gives me a good range of eyepiece/mags (with the included standard 10mm and 25mm eyepices) and I can hopefully start to see the benefits of Plossls. Great info on the Eyepieces thread started by Warthog that has helped a lot too.

I am suspecting that I may be looking at upgrading the 2x Barlow to a better quality one sometime soon, but I shall play a while first.

Also the EQ1 RA Motor Drive on the wish list, but I want to get familiar with manual setup and use before anything else. Astrophotography not an issue for me at present as viewing and just learning is the main priority. If the skies clear anytime soon that is!

Archived