Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LDN 1235 in Cepheus

Jedi2014

Greetings,

Now and then I try to capture dark nebulae from out of my garden. Whenever I think the conditions are favorable, i. e. new moon, good transparency and no soccer match on the course at 300m distance. Here the current try on LDN 1235: The blue reflection nebulae are VdB 149 and 150, north is at the top left.
The exposure took about 4 weeks, starting with luminancey on a moonless night in mid-September, and ending in mid-October with two nights of RGB. That's how almost 15 hours have come together - which the object definitely needs.

ldn-1235-lrgb-small.jpg

Data and background: http://www.spaceimages.de/en/astrophotos/nebula/ldn-1235
Astrobin: http://www.astrobin.com/316756/

Cheers
Jens

Very nice--I love the framing too.  It always amazes and frustrates me that 15 hours of data can take months to collect.  Well worth the wait in your skilled hands however.  Great job on a tough target

Rodd

Hello Jens, Great shot!

Just wondering, does your Epsilon have a baffle to mask the main mirror clips like the 180mm Epsilon? You can clearly see the 3 120° "shadowbeams" of the primary mirror retention clips on the bright stars.

Or is something else protruding in the lightpath that causes this?

Regards, Pieter

Many thanks for your nice comments.

Peter: the main mirror clips are not masked and you‘re right, these reflections are caused by them. A friend of mine recommended to draw a 0,5mm black line on the edge of the main mirror with a black permanent marker. It reduced the reflections of his Epsilon more than 60%.

regards

Jens

Archived