Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with stellarium?

Hi all,

i always seem to get confused with how the stars look through a telescope compared to naked eye, being upside down and back to front  etc (reflector).

If I put my telescope details into stellarium will the layout in stellarium be the same as through my eyepiece?

many thanks.

This should be covered in the User Guide. If not - send a note to Alexander Wolf here (PM). He's one of the developers, as well as a member here. Here's a User Guide:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-user-guide/0.16.0-1/stellarium_user_guide-0.16.0-1.pdf/download

Enjoy,

Dave

Refractor/cassegrain telescopes will generate an image that is upside down when used without a diagonal. When a diagonal is used the image will be the right way up, but backwards from left to right, so not rotated, more like a mirrored image. A newtonian will show things upside down, something which caused endless amusement out camping when looking at a field of cows on the opposite side of a valley once.

This information can be plugged into Stellarium when you enter in the details of the telescope for the Occular plugin.

Archived